News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello All,

I was hoping someone could help me with the maker of this badge and if it is an ?issue? (cliche/stamped construction) type badge. The obverse looks like Pollath badges I have seen posted. The pin also looks like some Pollath marked badges, but I have not seen one stamped constructed without a backing plate/piece. The photos are of somewhat poor quality, but is the best my camera and my photography skills can accomplish. The details are actually much crisper. Hopefully the photos are of sufficient quality.

Thanks,

Lee

It does look like a clich? stamped type, but the pin makes me uneasy. Too narrow of hinge assembly and construction. But I haven't come across enough clich? Bav badges to be decisive. What is the recent history of this badge? Where did it come from?

Hi Claudius. Thanks for the reply. Don?t remember the timing for sure, but I purchased it about 5 or 6 years ago from a member of this forum. There is an old thread of Ferg1, that had a Pollath badge with a similar hinge/pin set-up but it is not on a clich? type. I will try and find it and link to it. Thanks, Lee

Hi Lee, the badge I show is not the same type. I always refer to the ' empty wheel' or spokeless wheel type of which yours is an example. the one I show has spokes in both wheels as well as a host of other different details. Ferg1.

Here is the link http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2807...n+Flying+badges. It is the Pilot badge on the left that looks like similar hinge/pin. It looks similar in size, but not sure?

If genuine ,this should have spokes in both wheels,and typically this appears to only have spokes in one wheel,there seems to be a lot of these around these days ..as such personally i wouldnt touch it with a barge pole !!

regards

steve

Although I must concede that the pin is the same type as the one on your badge (or very simular) which opens a whole new set of theories of which I am not going into now because it would fill up several pages + + . But on the whole the badge you show is seen fairly regularly and is questionable. As I said many times before ,I believe that there are a nucleus of these badges that are possibly 20's/30's era I also think that the vast majority have beened ' cloned ' to death (electro-formed) over the years so the waters are muddied for all now. I have handled pieces that IMO are of that period (20's/30's) and also pieces that are certainly ' grown ' in the plating tank !Stick on the side of safety and secure one that has spokes in both wheels.PM me if you want to know the other detail differences between the two types or compare with the badges shown in the thread you mentioned of mine. Ferg1.

Thanks Ferg and Steve for the information. The spokeless wheel is now obvious. So the consensuses is that these are most likely clones/fakes with a possibility of 1920?s-1930?s manufacture. The pin is silvered buntmetall but badge itself I am not sure. Some kind of silver plate or silver sheet?. Thanks again for the help.

Lee