News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

just for ed! a named Atlantic star!

Definitely a War Medal, but not necessarily the 1939-45 Star. Remember the Navy had to have six months afloat to qualify for it. Those who were serving their six at war's end were given the Star for the area they were serving in.

I have a Canadian group with just the Atlantic Star, C.V.S.M. and clasp and War Medal.

aahhh iv heard of that!! still nice though!!!!!i can do more detailed pics no problem at all!!!might have to bring out the rest of my name campaign stars so!!! :P;):beer:

Me too. But mine are Indian. Boxes full. Officially named. Limited interest though?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Interesting thread. The "Boots" naming was new to me as well. There you go ... can't say I didn't learn something today ;)

yeah its weird but i picked up a named africa star and i got it for E10 less then the non-named ones that we on sale from the same dealer!!!!

Not so weird in my eyes. If it is again a Boots. Many who collect British medals seem to be purists in the sense if it's not officially named or privately named with signifigant documentation that links that particular medal to the person then they are weary of it. That's even more true for named up single gallantry medals that were issued unnamed. In the last DNW auction (i think it was DNW) there was a single Distinguished service cross named up to a man who earned it in an Arctic convoy came with some douments i believe However afew years ago Eugene Ursual sold the whole group with another named up DSC and paper work to a person who still has the whole group in his collection. Which would you be inclined to believe was the original issued?

Some very bad people in the world who we all know find documents and manufacture groups.

Cheers

Chris

I love such attitudes. It makes WWII Indian medals especially nice. While they are officially named, almost no one in the "British" collecting crowd knows this (or much cares) and since they are to Indians, the price is doubly discounted. Sometimes, ignorance is your friend.

I love such attitudes. It makes WWII Indian medals especially nice. While they are officially named, almost no one in the "British" collecting crowd knows this (or much cares) and since they are to Indians, the price is doubly discounted. Sometimes, ignorance is your friend.

I think its the "Much Cares" part but i think thats starting to change (so buy up those named groups). The one huge obstacle is the amount of research one can do on an individual soldier. Units and casualties can be researched to a certain extents but still not as much as other Commonwealth countries.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Cheers

Chris

I think its the "Much Cares" part but i think thats starting to change (so buy up those named groups). The one huge obstacle is the amount of research one can do on an individual soldier. Units and casualties can be researched to a certain extents but still not as much as other Commonwealth countries.

Just my thoughts on the matter

Cheers

Chris

True. As the last edition of BB&M was being prepared, the editors were informed about WWII naming of medals to Indians (as well as a range of other India-specific errors). There had also been detailed communication on this and other issues when the 6th edition (the giant blue one) was coming together. And what do we get:

"Issued unnamed to British personnel; some Stars to South African and some Australian personnel were impressed in sans serif caiptals." (BB&M, 8th ed., p. 537)

Why bother . . . . :banger:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

At least we got rid of the old canard about Indian soldiers changing units so often and being soldiers in one campaign and followers in the next.

And the IGS and GSM units coverage was much improved - I still have the heavily annotated 5th edition I worked from in sending in my corrections.