News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My new addition to Soviet Collection

Here's the latest adition to my Soviet collection.

It looks nice with a uniform and still works!

Type: Double Action

Chamber: 7.62mm Nagant

Weight unloaded: 750 g

Length: 230 mm

Barrel length: 114 mm

Capacity: 7 rounds

This revolver was designed in Belgium by Nagant brothers (Emile and Leon) in the late 1880s - early 1890s, and was adopted by numerous countries, including Sweden and Poland, but the major user and manufacturer was undoubtfully Russia (and later Soviet Union). Russian government adopted Nagant revolver in 1895, and local production began in 1898 (first shipments were from Belgium). It was a standard russian sidearm until 1930, when M1895 Nagant was declared obsolete, but it was widely used and manufactured during World War 2, and manufacture was finally ceased circa 1950.

Later, some sporting revolvers, both in 7.62mm and in .22LR were developed on Nagant platform. Intertestingly enough, the M1895 revolvers still can be seen carried by some security personnel in Russia, especially by Railroad Security and by some armed guards. Usually, those revolvers are 2 to 4 times older than men who carry these guns.

From technical point of view, Nagant revolvers were already almost outdated at the moment of its adoption in 1895, since newest revolvers like S&W Hand Ejectors or Colts with side-opened cylinders were much faster to reload. On the other hand, M1895 had some unusual and interesting features, one of which was gas sealed cylinder, which made the Nagant a rare example of revolver suitable for mounting a silencer. Such a practice was known by NKVD and some Red Army special forces (recon and scouts) during WW2. Special silencer, called "Bramit device" was designed by Mitin brothers and could be mounted on the barrel.

M1895 Nagand was a solid frame, seven shot revolver with non-removable cylinder. The loading and unloading was committed wia the loading gate at the right side of the frame, one cartridge by one. Spent cases were ejected by the ejector rod, which, when not in use, was concealed within the cylinder axis and swung to the side on the ejector rod link to be used. Original guns were double action ones, but Tsarists government ordered that some of M1895 should be retrofitted with Single Action triggers and issued to enlisted men, and DA guns should be issued only to the Officers and Police. In Red (Soviet) army only Double Action Nagants were issued.

The gas sealed cylinder, mentioned above, was made to use all of powder gases to propel the bullet (in most revolvers some gases escape from the gap between the cylinder face and barrel breech). To achieve that, the cylinder moves ahead a bit when hammer is cocked, enclosing a barrel breech area with recess in the front of each chamber. The cartridge, unique to that design, had long case with tapered mouth and a bullet totally enclosed inside the case. When cylinder moves forward, the cartridge case mouth entered the barrel breech and was used as additional seal. This was a complicated mechanism, useful mostly when guns were used with silencer.

Being somewhat complicated and relatively slow to reload, with ammunition of marginal power, Nagants were otherwise good guns, reliable, acurate and quite popular among the troops.

Guest Rick Research

Is that new ammunition or old? I was under the understanding that none was available in this country.

Several years back, I was thwarted in an attempt to buy a MINT 1935 made Nagant revolver complete with all mint matched accessories-- web holster, over the shoulder strap, lanyard, pouch with loading and repair tools...

for $85. :speechless1:

Because in MY demented state :shame: the marking "1935" made it a no no, even though a stamp "1898" on the SAME mechanically identical :o gun would have made it OK. :speechless:

Soooo... my Tokarev and Korovin holsters for uniform displays are EMPTY.

Guest Rick Research

That was most of what I ALMOST got in Noo Hampsha (legal there but n-o-t where I live :angry: ), but the tools were in a matching belt pouch. I offered the guy that money for everything BUT the gun and he wouldn't break the mint set up. I can't say as I blamed him, since I would have paid three times that.

I'd say the odds of finding a NICE MINTY full set or one as complete as Rusty's are... unlikely. (Unless there is a treasure trove of unissued condition sidearms coming out of the former Soviet Union???)

Most of the revolvers I've seen are beat, and the loose holsters-- especially the webbing non-leather kind-- worse.

I think that the kit appears to be the items grouped together by the importer. Pretty nice, as it is probably a pain to find everything individually!

For a while in the mid-90s, my dad had his dealer's license. We could get everything at wholesale (we bought a bunch of the M1 carbines at $110 each!) and I always wanted one of these, but he always told me "no" because of the lack of availability of the ammo. :( I think they were $85 each for "handpicked" ones from the importer...now I wish I had bought one!

Dave

Dave,

Decent ones can still be found for $100 and good ones for $125+

You just need to find one that you like.

PM me and I can tell you where to look. Check your County & State laws to be sure you can have one.

I'm sure it won't be a problem for an active military person though...

In Illinois they are considered C&R (Curio & Relic)

Rusty.