News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First Schnellboot Flottille Cap Tally

congrats Erik very nice pick up for your growing collection. I posted some of my Tallies on another thread with the 2. S-Bootflottille shown and it's Tender during early war.

Great pic - personal as well, good job !

E ~

Edited by ErichB

Hi Erik

I am not a tally collector,but i do appreciate them.It is one of the areas of KM collecting that i could get into very easily.The photo,is superb though.Too bad he is not wearing a Schnellboot badge.

Regards,Martin.

Thanks for the posts, Gentlemen!

Martin - John Robinson informed me that the KM stopped wearing ship/flotilla-specific tallies shortly after the war started in 1939 for security purposes. For that reason, I wouldn't think that you would see a war badge and a ship/flotilla-specific tally in wear together. However, I could be wrong about this (wouldn't be the first time).

Best Regards,

Erik

Martin - John Robinson informed me that the KM stopped wearing ship/flotilla-specific tallies shortly after the war started in 1939 for security purposes. For that reason, I wouldn't think that you would see a war badge and a ship/flotilla-specific tally in wear together.

Best Regards,

Erik

Hi Erik,

this is information that i did not know and i am sure that John is absolutely correct in his statement.

Still a great photo.

Regards,Martin.

Martin - John Robinson informed me that the KM stopped wearing ship/flotilla-specific tallies shortly after the war started in 1939 for security purposes. For that reason, I wouldn't think that you would see a war badge and a ship/flotilla-specific tally in wear together.

Best Regards,

Erik

Hi Erik,

this is new information for me and very interesting too.I am sure that John is absolutely correct in his statement.

Still,a great photo.

Regards,Martin.

Martin - John Robinson informed me that the KM stopped wearing ship/flotilla-specific tallies shortly after the war started in 1939 for security purposes. For that reason, I wouldn't think that you would see a war badge and a ship/flotilla-specific tally in wear together. However, I could be wrong about this (wouldn't be the first time).

Best Regards,

Erik

As a general rule, its basically true. However there were occasions after the outbreak of war when cap ribbons were worn. For instance, when Prien's crew were invited to Berlin to celebrate the sinking of Royal Oak, they wore their flotilla ribbons, but on all the press photos the censor obliterated the name.

After the outbreak of war, it would be rare to see a sailor on duty wearing a named ribbon BUT I have no doubt that sailors would retain at least one named ribbon for sentimental reasons (even though they were suposed to be handed in after the outbreak of war). Remember that these ribbons were not exactly hard to obtain before the war and were often even given away to visitors to the ships during "open days " etc plus ribbons could be purchased by the sailor and as his personal property wouldn't be handed in when the general exchange of named ribbons for "Kriegsmarine" ribbons occured.

These ribbons could then be worn briefly, to have a portrait photo taken for the family album even after their wear was prohibited. The wearing of items or insignia which were not exactly "permitted by regulations" was quite common when posing for private rather than official photos.

So its quite possible that a photo might turn up of a sailor wearing a warbadge and the appropriate cap ribbon.

As a general rule, its basically true. However there were occasions after the outbreak of war when cap ribbons were worn. For instance, when Prien's crew were invited to Berlin to celebrate the sinking of Royal Oak, they wore their flotilla ribbons, but on all the press photos the censor obliterated the name.

After the outbreak of war, it would be rare to see a sailor on duty wearing a named ribbon BUT I have no doubt that sailors would retain at least one named ribbon for sentimental reasons (even though they were suposed to be handed in after the outbreak of war). Remember that these ribbons were not exactly hard to obtain before the war and were often even given away to visitors to the ships during "open days " etc plus ribbons could be purchased by the sailor and as his personal property wouldn't be handed in when the general exchange of named ribbons for "Kriegsmarine" ribbons occured.

These ribbons could then be worn briefly, to have a portrait photo taken for the family album even after their wear was prohibited. The wearing of items or insignia which were not exactly "permitted by regulations" was quite common when posing for private rather than official photos.

So its quite possible that a photo might turn up of a sailor wearing a warbadge and the appropriate cap ribbon.

Thanks for once again imparting your deep knowledge, Gordon! Now the hunt is on to find a photo with a warbadge in wear with a flotilla ribbon.

Best Regards,

Erik

Thanks for once again imparting your deep knowledge, Gordon! Now the hunt is on to find a photo with a warbadge in wear with a flotilla ribbon.

Best Regards,

Erik

I agree,Erik.

Regards,Martin.