News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Georgian GTO Excellence Gramota & Badges

I was doing something else and I came across this April 1955 Georgian GTO Excellence gramota. It was presented along with a GTO Excellence Badge, like the one you can see on the document. This award was for taking second place in chess at the 1st Youth Festival.

I don't have the 1st Step Excellence badge shown on the gramota. So, instead, I have posted two 2nd Step GTO Excellence Badges, an early silver version and a later bronze example. The very early GTO Excellence Badges have mostly eluded me. You'd think that if I could find a two 2nd Steps, then a 1st Step should be easier.

It is particularly interesting, to me anyway, that the Stalin-Over-Lenin figure was still embossed at this late date. That's what's in the "empty" big circle at the top. There was nothing I could do that would bring this out in the scan. Too bad. Anyway, I thought that Kruschev was already into de-Stalinization by then. Of course, this was Stalin's birthplace. He never cared much for it ("that little place they call Georgia") but many Georgians worshipped him. A few still do.

I was a little reluctant to post this as I haven't seen much in the way of sports awards threads or just documents here. However, I think this is a nice piece, worthy of collecting even though it's not one of my areas of particular interest. If this is well received, I'll post some more documents in the future.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen a Georgian one (with or without a secret watermark disappearing Stalin! :cheeky::cheers: ), but these types of documents always seem to be (not this one though) in deplorable condition-- pleasing graphics, nice colors, but cheap paper too large-- and usually falling apart.

Now that you mention it, there is something seriously weird about not being able to find 1st classes when 2nd classes are out there-- me too!!!

[attachmentid=17619]

[attachmentid=17620]

<<a secret watermark disappearing Stalin!>> I'm not even sure if "embossed" is the right word. The figure is actually raised above the paper, the two heads facing right as you look at the gramota, Stalin in front, behind him comes Lenin. It's a familiar pose. One thing for sure, it disappears when I try to scan it!

I think that your badge is for passing certain requirements to reach the Second Step of GTO membership. I have several of those at the first step, but all with the guy running to our right, and some like yours.

What I posted was, I think, presented as recognition of some sort of accomplishment, like placing in that big chess tournament. Thus the "Otlichnik" on the bottom bar.

I remember that you enjoy good documents. I'll post a few more soon.

I am still getting some outstanding things from Georgia. I just sent some money off yesterday to buy some groups and a collection of photos of Soviet (and some Imperial) soldiers in uniform. I'm really looking forward to seeing them. It's liable to be spring before I have them. Meantime, I'll post some of my other photos and documents.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck,

Although all this "Eastern Block" stuff is not what I collect, I do enjoy looking at it.

Since I mostly collect documents, I would certainly be pleased to see more of what you have.

Many thanks in advance,

David

Hello David

Once again I was going through a stack of old documents and I found this gramota. It is a 1934 version of the document I previously posted, except that this variant is for passing some GTO norms rather than for a specific accomplishment. I.e., it's not an "Otlichnik" document. It's probably in the best condition of any of the old ones that I have ever come across. Note that it is numbered to the badge that it accompanied. I hope you enjoy it. I have a LOT of old Soviet and Imperial documents. I'll try to post more as time allows.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Chuck,

Thanks for posting that. What strikes me is the similarity between the cog wheel used in the background to the cog wheel used to surround the swastika of DAF badges and documents.

Totalitarian regimes of the 20th century seem to have had much more in common than just their ideological extremes.

I look forward to seeing some of your Imperial documents.

David

Here is a Georgian GTO Gramota dated 24 June, 1943. It is, nominally, for passing the 2nd Step norms but it refers to a different kind of contribution altogether. It is interesting in that it was awarded to militia lieutenant Gverditeli in respect of his work with Tbilisi's Club Dynamo and the army reserves.

Chuck