News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1922 GPU Activist Badge

Remember, there weren't exactly a lot of central government-issued Soviet badges back in 1922. This one is certainly locally made, likely in Tbilisi, Georgia. It is solid silver and dated August 8, 1922. The inscription is "Aktiv Zak GPU 19 8/VIII 22".

This was a very violent and lawless period in Georgia, the first year since Tbilisi had fallen. The wearer of this badge likely was an enforcer of some sort. Many Georgian war lords, gang leaders and street toughs who thought they could read the writing on the wall allied themselves with the conquering Red Army. This may have been worn by someone like that whose work pleased the new government.

Chuck

This was a very violent and lawless period in Georgia, the first year since Tbilisi had fallen. The wearer of this badge likely was an enforcer of some sort. Many Georgian war lords, gang leaders and street toughs who thought they could read the writing on the wall allied themselves with the conquering Red Army. This may have been worn by someone like that whose work pleased the new government.

Things don't seem to have changed much, do they?

Things don't seem to have changed much, do they?

Aw, c'mon. Georgia is pretty peaceful, if you don't count those pesky semi-autonomous regions (completely supported and kept in power by Russia in order to de-stabilize the region) and, of course, everybody's favorite, the Pankisi Gorge and the (mostly) phantom Chechen camps.

I was graciously invited to a supra in my honor in Omalo, pretty much the center of the Pankisi, back in 2003. It's just a mud spot on a mountain, but something has to be central. I said, "Well, that might not be all that safe for me, do you think?" Their answer? "No, Chuck. For you, we will make it safe." Um, no thanks. Someone might not get the word.

I was in Tbilisi all during the Rose Revolution. In fact, Shevardnadze escaped past me just a few feet away. I have some blurry pictures. Even then, it was a peaceful revolution, as much as any revolution has ever been. I was in the crowds in front of parliament most nights and I never saw more than the occasional drunk and, admittedly, too many spetznatz. When I saw the heavily armed guard on the front steps of parliament accept a bouquet of roses from a girl, I knew it was all over for the old regime. That was a sight that will always stay with me.

Anyway, some of the very best people, and friends, I have ever known are Georgians. I owe them a lot more that I can ever repay. I have to stick up for them when I can.

One of these days I'll tell you about our Georgian charity.

Chuck

Chuck,

I meant no slight to the Georgians, but referred rather to the way things are done in some of the former Soviet states.

A work colleague of mine (a Russian) who travels extensively in the CIS/Russian Federation sometimes tells us about the way business is "facilitated" in the "Wild East". Even allowing for some exaggeration by western media, I am sure your concern for your own safety was not entirely unfounded.

You are very fortunate to be able to visit an interesting country in such a fast-moving part of its history. I certainly envy your visits there.

David