News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

O. of the Bavarian Crown - Era? Maker?

I bought this Commander badge several years ago as the work of a non-German maker. That would make sense since a high proportion of these were awarded to foreigners. Although gold, it is much heavier than the gold examples by the usual Bavarian makers (approx. 70 grams). My first guess would be either an Austrian or Russian maker but, their pieces are usually marked. This piece has no marks at all. Has anyone got any ideas?

Very beautiful example! Agree with Jeff--was this ex-McNamara? He had two of this type and seem to remember he bought both from Maision Platt [Paris] in the mid-late '60s. Edited by 922F

Very beautiful example! Agree with Jeff--was this ex-McNamara? He had two of this type and seem to remember he bought both from Maision Platt [Paris] in the mid-late '60s.

I'm not aware of its lineage prior to the person I bought it from a few years ago. He is a well respected member of this forum so, he may know some prior history.

The ?84? mark represents a silver content 875/1000 there is the court suppliers mark

and an ?FB? mark. The ?FB? mark stands for the Finnish silversmith Frederik Bj?rk in

St. Petersburg, who became a master in 1849 and stayed in this capacity until 1860.

Hi Beau,

That is a beautiful piece that you have there. On the off chance that it turns out to Be Russian,

I thought that you might find this to be interesting.

Well....it is strange that you should mention the Russian star Wildcard. This piece was in a collection with the very star that made its way to George's collection. I remember when these items came up for sale through a "dealer" in New York. I do not remember the name of the person who had the collection originally unfortunately. I do remember a vast collection of Bavarian regimental histories from this source that were overpriced and which I passed on. I do wish I had them today though (although they still would not even be worth today what was asked for them then). Sadly, the library was broken-up and went to "who knows where".

There was a gold (silver-gilt) Bavarian Bravery Medal in this collection also. And if I remember correctly, perhaps a MVO Officer's Cross. Most of the collection was long-gone before I saw it.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like I need to show it to some collectors of French orders to see if they can narrow down the period. This order had a fairly long life (1808-1918) so, I will probably be lucky to get within a range of a couple of decades.

Thanks again