News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I posted this question at the Aerodrome, perhaps there's someone over here that might have some insight:

Snyder's Treasures has on their web site (http://www.snyderstreasures.com/pages/goring.htm) an image of a PLM that they sold (don't say when) that allegedly belonged to no less than Herman Goering. Anybody know anything about this? Looks like a bad repro to me, but then again, I don't know anything about authenticating these things. I'd be interested in hearing what the experts have to say about it.

Biber

Guest Rick Research

Or, to be less tactful than Wild C.-- in all my half century of life, I have been in the physical, animal instinct revulsion at the palpable physical presence of evil...

once.

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Or, to be less tactful than Wild C.-- in all my half century of life, I have been in the physical, animal instinct revulsion at the palpable physical presence of evil...

once.

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

"Charlie" once posted a picture on Ebay of a group of Soldiers in formation outside a Mess Hall ...in his description he said it was Custer's 7th Cav just before the Little Big Horn in 1876 lined up before chow.

The problem was , he never dreamed that someone would recognize where the picture was taken.

It was actually taken at Camp Smith here in NY around 1914 or 15 :shame:

I Emailed him , told him he was wrong ...but he could care less ..

Yeah, maybe the widow of Vietnam Vet's as that cross was made in the early 1970's. He probably mailed it home after he stripped it from around the neck of a German Pilot flying some funny red plane that crashed in the bush outside the wire, just past the unmarked minefield he had to go through to retrieve it. of course, coming back he was blown apart by a mine and his arm/hand.... still clutching the retrieved piece landed in a foxhole with his buddy who then mailed it to the widow as it was the dead soldiers whispered dying last wish...........

yeah, I'll buy that story......

do i detect a little animosity here???

too bad that there was probably a time that

this person had a choice not to go to the

dark side....

it is always one of the high points of the three-ring

circus to see him set up at the shows, pontificating...

he is one of the acts i regularly follow.

roscoe

Hi Joe, absolutely no animosity on my part. I've never met him and certainly never done any business with him. I find his descriptions to be marvelous works and someday hope to meet his creative writing staff. Maybe, I can even get a job working for him too! I mean, he's been selling Eva Braun's underwear for going on 20 years now. I don't know which US GI dragged home that pillaged trunk of (now) treasured undergarments, but he certainly had his work cut out for himself!

I think the only other endless supply situation you can compare this to is the mysterious "General Bader's Trunk" situation in Hawaii a few years back.... Why "General Bader's Trunk" yielded an almost continuous supply of eBay items by seller DonHoHo for three (3) years.... culminated finally by the mysterious appearance of a pair of "tighty-whitey" men's underwear purported to have been found in a SECOND trunk of General Bader's in another state! :rolleyes:

Reputedly, these undies had an Iron Cross on the backside and "General Bader's" initials marked on the tag by his Mommy.......

Shortly thereafter, all "General Bader's Trunk" items mysteriously disappeared from eBay and have not been seen since!! :rolleyes:

The most famous tagline you can find from Mr. Snyder is "This is the real deal", which I believe he may have actually trademarked thereby forbidding the use of this phrase by any other seller of militaria in perpetuity.........

Animosity.......... Moi??? I think not! :cheeky:

Gentlemen,

I must admit that I bought one of my first Imperial German pieces, a Hamburg Hansa cross from Major Snyder over twenty-five years ago; but it was through him that I made other contacts, mainly OMSA, that led me to the path of collecting Imperial German. I guess that what I?m saying, in essence, is ?... and I?m still here to tell about it.? Please don?t misunderstand, as evidenced by my opening post (#2), I do not question or disagree with any of the above.

With regard to the other above mentioned dealer, I sold a rather unassuming patriotic item to him some years back; and was absolutely shocked to find, when it hit his web page that it had surely come from a family of nobility, if not an important industrialist!! Gee, how could I have missed that?

I can understand someone unknowingly buying a fake EKI or Red Eagle 4th for a couple of hundred dollars, but when it gets into the thousands... one has to wonder, where do these guys find their customers? Actually, there was a well known collection of fake Imperial German orders that came on the market a couple of years ago , all very high and exotic pieces - swords, swords on ring, Red Eagle and Garter bands - which was sold as reproductions. Where are they now? This was a case where a very wealthy American collector (he collected several things) came under the influence of the top German forger/faker who was feeding him these items as fast as he could produce them. Surely six figures, were involved.

Finally, consider this. Is it possible that a well known dealer, when on his buying trips, is himself a well known target of bad items and good items with bad stories? You bet it is.

Regards,

Wild Card

Sorry to have stirred up such anger. Having stumbled across Snyder's web site I was naturally curious.

So what about Goering's other medals? US forces relieved him of them shortly after he surrendered. What ever became of them? Westpoint(?) has some things, do they have his medals too?

Biber

Guest Brian von Etzel

What I remember from the many books is that awards of Goering and others were taken and put into manilla envelopes and labeled and placed in, essentially, file cabinets. People came and went into those rooms. Goering's other stuff came in several trunks and suit cases and along with the other 'guests' items, were also stored in a room where again people came and went. Nothing was photographed and documented. And, many envelopes, including Goering's were emptied by parties unknown. But I wasn't there and that's an account in a book repeated more than once.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a few years back one of the major US dealers auctioned of one of G?ring's PPK's that was "liberated" by a Jewish-American GI. Can't say I blame him.... I would have been far more than tempted to do a little "liberating" myself if I was in his shoes. And please, let's not get into a big squabble over the rights/wrongs over souvenirs....... It's not the time or place for a philisophical discussion. However, feel free to start a civil discourse in the lounge on this subject if anyone's interested.