News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thought it would be interesting to look at the shared design characteristics on U-Boat badges from different manufacturers and how many of them appear to have come from similar tooling.

First up, Type 1, the Schwerin type design.

This design was used by (left to right)

Schwerin of Berlin

Steinhauer & Lück of Lüdenscheid

Deumer of Lüdenscheid

Type 3. The Hymenn style.

Used by Hymenn and at least one other (Deumer)

Hymenn is at left, at right is a possible Deumer (the Deumer catalogue shows a badge with the area around the eagles head cut away rather than solid, so whilst this may well be a Deumer, it cannot be confirmed 100%)

Type 4, the Schickle design.

Used by (left to right below)

Schickle of Pforzheim

Mayer of Pforzheim

Zimmermann of Pforzheim

Believed original tooling was Schickle's and sold off when the firm went out of business in 1941, thereafter the tooling appears to have been shared by Mayer and Zimmermann.

The most common of all, Type 5 with the so called "shield shaped" chest to the eagle.

Used by at least the following ( and probably more as unmarked specimens are also knownm which have reverse fittings which do not conform to the six firms identified here)

Left to right top row

Foerster & Barth, Pforzheim

Meybauer, Berlin

Mayer, Pforzheim

Left to right bottom row

Friedrich Orth, Wien

Rudolf Souval, Wien

E. Ferd. Wiedmann, Frankfurt

Facinating study Gordon - thank you. Personally, I find the Juncker Eagle the 'strongest' and most visually pleasing.

(Your lizard looks like it can't wait to pounce on each one!)

Personally, I find the Juncker Eagle the 'strongest' and most visually pleasing.

Absolutely ! The Schickle type is also rather nice, probably my second favourite, and the possible Deumer has a rather well executed head to the eagle too.

No matter how well struck or finished some of the others are, there is something too "Muppet-like" about the eagles for them to be truly attractive .

Juncker - now thats an eagle. !

Great thread Gordon.I agree that Juncker is also my favourite design,with the Schickle,Mayer,Zimmerman type a close second.Funcke & Bruninghaus and Meybauer would be third.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by mwestley

• 2 weeks later...