News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Recent Soviet Additions That I Can't Quite Identify ?

Here are a few recent acquisitions that I have not been able to fully identify / translate. If anyone can assist I would be grateful.

First up is a very nice badge to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Lenin's birth. Lots of such items were produced but this one is made from silver and even has Soviet hallmarks on the reverse. It is a very high quality piece so was obviously not handed out to all n sundry or purchased for a few kopeks. Does anyone know who was the issuing authority ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-1487-124913467736.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-1487-124913468509.jpg

Next up is some type of merchant fleet anniversary badge but my basic (and very rusty) Russian cannot work out what it all means. If any cunning linguists out there could help I would appreciate it.

And the last is a modern Russian badge for the 300th anniversary of Tuilu VS. Can anyone tell me what Tuilu VS means ? Could VS be short for War College ??

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-1487-124913483593.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_08_2009/post-1487-124913484815.jpg

Next up is some type of merchant fleet anniversary badge but my basic (and very rusty) Russian cannot work out what it all means. If any cunning linguists out there could help I would appreciate it.

I think the badge is for 10 years shipping without accident.

regards

Andreas

I think the badge is for 10 years shipping without accident.

regards

Andreas

Indeed! It reads: (up) MINRYBHOZ SSSR = Ministerstvo ribnego hozjajstva (??) = Ministry for fishing economy; (down): ZA BEZAVARIJNUJU RABOTU = For accident-free labor. A very nice badge!

The first one is for 100th anniversary of Lenin's birth, but I'm not sure if this is Soviet - the pin and hinge assembly doesn't look Soviet to me, but there were very many tinnies around.

Regards, Valter

Indeed! It reads: (up) MINRYBHOZ SSSR = Ministerstvo ribnego hozjajstva (??) = Ministry for fishing economy; (down): ZA BEZAVARIJNUJU RABOTU = For accident-free labor. A very nice badge!

The first one is for 100th anniversary of Lenin's birth, but I'm not sure if this is Soviet - the pin and hinge assembly doesn't look Soviet to me, but there were very many tinnies around.

Regards, Valter

The hallmark is a Russian silver hallmark so I am pretty sure it is Soviet. I agree that the pin assembly is not typical. This is of far better quality than most of the tinnies you see for the 100th aniv. so I am presuming it was an awarded piece rather than a commerically available badge. Hopefully someone out there can pin it down.

Guest Rick Research

Yes, more or less. The Russian word "bases" doen't quite come out the same in English. It's more akin to the French/German "Etappen." Rear area... lines of communications... depots.

In the Soviet system, the domain of the intendance corps. Quartermasters... supply... that sort of thing, though I suppose fuel and ordnance etc all fall into the same category. Those are the types of people who'd have gotten this.

Excellent, now if only someone could tell me about the first badge .....

Still, as Meat Loaf used to sing "Two out of three aint bad" ....

And, unfortunately for people in our area of collecting, "there ain't no coupe deville hiding at the bottom of a cracker jack box"

• 1 month later...

Excellent, now if only someone could tell me about the first badge .....

Lenin's 100 years anniversary. silver 875/1000. produced in 1969-1970 at Leningrad jeweller workshop (it is not possible to observe at your picture but there should be letters "ЛЮ")

the 2nd one is clear. the 3d is 300 years ann. of Rear (Logistics) Services of Defence Ministry. it is interested to note when the defence ministry selebrated its 200 y. ann the rear services selebrated 300 y. ann (they count since 1700)

• 5 months later...

This is actually a Russian Federation Commemorative Breast Badge for their logistical forces of the Defense Ministry.

Commemorative Breast Badge "300 Years of the Rear of the Armed Forces".

Instituted on 8 November 1999 by ministerial order 523. Awarded to military personnel, civilian staff and veterans of the Rear Services (Logistics) of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, for distinction in the performance of official duties, special assignments, activities aimed at strengthening the Rear Services of the Armed Forces and who served (worked) in the Armed Forces 20 years or more.