News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Trash Can Rescues

Jim Baker

I hate to waste a good model. Here are some "trash can" pieces, stripped, and rebuilt. This is a good way to hone your skills and practice with an airbrush without the worry of screwing up a good kit.

Here is a British armored car that was originally finished in a European winter camo. I think I originally built this in 7th grade. Again, this is 1/72 scale.

Greetings all;

I picked up this DML Fokker Dr.I in trade. When I was finally able to crack the box I found that many of the kit parts were missing. I had to replace the interior, engine, cowling, propeller, wheels, guns, landing gear and decals from my spare parts box. I am now retouching the propeller to clean up the laminations and add more wood grain.

Here is what I had to use.

Interior = scratchbuilt.and spares from box. I also used a Copper State models seated pilot.

Cowling and Engine = uni-part from the Aerobase kit.

Propeller = DML spare.

Prop boss = Roden item skinned from a Fokker D.VII kit item.

Wheels = Eduard Albatros D.V items.

Guns = Eduard Albatros D.V items.

Ammo feeds= Blue Max white metal.

Empty belt chutes = Special Hobby Pfalz D.XII items.

Landing gear = Aeroclub = extruded brass "STRUTZ"

Rigging wire = Detail assoc. stainless steel.

Decals = Aeromaster, spare DML, Blue Max.

"A Strictly hypothetical scheme."

It was made to look like a machine that had been through several owners. We know that Jasta 18 had at least two Fokker Dr.I types in the spring / summer 1918. One airframe is unaccounted for. The unit markings were red wings and forward fuselage. White rear fuselage and tail unit. Here after transferring to another unit or units black striping was added and the early crosses overpainted. It will be a back ground item in a pending diorama. Heavily stained like some of the Jasta 12 Dr.I types turned in in August - September 1918.

IPB Image

IPB Image

• 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Greetings all; Just repairing a broken set of linksI picked up this DML Fokker Dr.I in trade. When I was finally able to crack the box I found that many of the kit parts were missing. I had to replace the interior, engine, cowling, propeller, wheels, guns, landing gear and decals from my spare parts box. I am now retouching the propeller to clean up the laminations and add more wood grain.

Here is what I had to use.

Interior = scratchbuilt.and spares from box. I also used a Copper State models seated pilot.

Cowling and Engine = uni-part from the Aerobase kit.

Propeller = DML spare.

Prop boss = Roden item skinned from a Fokker D.VII kit item.

Wheels = Eduard Albatros D.V items.

Guns = Eduard Albatros D.V items.

Ammo feeds= Blue Max white metal.

Empty belt chutes = Special Hobby Pfalz D.XII items.

Landing gear = Aeroclub = extruded brass "STRUTZ"

Rigging wire = Detail assoc. stainless steel.

Decals = Aeromaster, spare DML, Blue Max.

"A Strictly hypothetical scheme."

It was made to look like a machine that had been through several owners. We know that Jasta 18 had at least two Fokker Dr.I types in the spring / summer 1918. One airframe is unaccounted for. The unit markings were red wings and forward fuselage. White rear fuselage and tail unit. Here after transferring to another unit or units black striping was added and the early crosses overpainted. It will be a back ground item in a pending diorama. Heavily stained like some of the Jasta 12 Dr.I types turned in in August - September 1918.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by StephenLawson