News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Palmes Academiques

GeorgeCL

Heres a piece I have and dont know what it is or its country of origin. Both sides are the same, no markings that I can find. Ribbon is purple and the damaged enamel is the same purple. Looks blue in scan but its purple/cerise..

Anyone?

Thanks

George

IPB Image

this came with some WW1 era russian items..could it be from this period?

George

Hi George,

I agree completely with Christophe : the design and quality points to this knight class being from well before the present model. The Order of the Academic Palms was instituted on 17 March 1808. The first insignia (1808-1866) were embroidered and from 1866 to 1955 these became silver (or silver gilt for the Officer class) decorations as the one you have. The design of the post-1955 ones is markedly different.

During the 1866-1955 period there were, of course, many variations being made by several manufacturers. Although having too little documentation at my disposal to verify it, I tend to think the one in your picture dates from considerably before 1955 but also from some time after 1866. It does, therefore, fit in nicely with your timeframe.

Guest Rick Research

I'd suggest checking it for silver hallmarks which may help to date it.

It's nice to see one of these old ones after many years. The new ones are horrid!

Gentlemen, here's a miniature that came in a sweet little hinged case, produced by G. Lemaitre in Paris.

It differs from the one posted by George i.e. the left twig is overlaping right. I also think this mini is mounted with the reverse exposed.

KR

Peter

Gentlemen, here's a miniature that came in a sweet little hinged case, produced by G. Lemaitre in Paris.

It differs from the one posted by George i.e. the left twig is overlaping right. I also think this mini is mounted with the reverse exposed.

KR

Peter

Nice one.

In fact there are several variations. The mini one is correctly mounted (see the red gems...).

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Christohe, I made an incorrect assumption by comparing it with George's image, so I took a closer look in my reference books. In Wehrlich's "Orders.....all Nations", the image apparently is mirrowed, the gems looks the same as the rest of the award in that b/w photo. George, if you check the other side, I bet the gems are violet coloured.

I noticed another thing when I studied "Orders,Medals and decorations of Britain and Europe" by Paul Hieronymusse. Both classes shown, Commander and Officer, lacked the gems all together. Is this consistent with all 1955 model awards?

KR

Peter

(...)

I noticed another thing when I studied "Orders,Medals and decorations of Britain and Europe" by Paul Hieronymusse. Both classes shown, Commander and Officer, lacked the gems all together. Is this consistent with all 1955 model awards?

KR

Peter

1955 model awards have a very simplified design, without gems.

Ch.

• 1 month later...

My small collection of officer class ones ...

The miniature has a silver mark in the suspension ring, the full size one on the right has a double maker's mark in the rim of the lower left branch - nothing visible in that respect on the one in the middle.

[attachmentid=24406]

• 4 months later...

Another type. The ball under the suspension ring holds a stone. I don't know anything about stones, but this one is harder than glass. :jumping: .Couldn't find any marks. Hendrik, you told me in the past this one is a privat purchase. Any ideas about the timeframe?

Thank you,

Jef

[attachmentid=44348]

Jef,

This is a nice one. Hendrik is right; this is a private purchase. I have never seen one like this... Very nice!!! That's what is interesting in private versions : all different, with a wide range of varieties!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Hello Christophe and Hendrik,

Thank you for your explanation. The colour of the ribbon was completely faded, so I turned it inside out. I believe lot of people do this.

Kind regards,

Jef

• 2 years later...