News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Can this ribbon bar be identified?

Guest Rick Research

Hmmm.

Appears to be an extremely old and never twiddled with bar...

Also appears to be a SILVER X and Crown on the 2nd ribbon...

absence of other devices besides the silver X on the White Falcon making variables which do not immediately work out.

There are only a handful of Prussian Hohenzollern Merit Cross X recipients (silver X and Crown) none of whom seem to match...

Nor can I find an HOH3X recipient who matches these.

Not entirely sure this hasn't got incorrect (but added by the wearer) device(s) clouding the identifications-- an excessively well decorated NCO rather than an officer?

This bar appears to have been made entirely without devices, as many of the earliest mid-war ones were.

I have, but am not about to spend my next year transcribing, the SMM rolls if #5 is not an SMK.

#6 from Reuss is presumably SOME grade of ONE of the awards (none of the WW1 records for which we yet have) with Xs.

#3 as is would be a Württemberg SILVER Bravery Medal-- which doesn't seem to make sense. Can't find a match for a WM3 (ssuming he didn';t have a green enamel wreath).

More than ever we need to have the Bremen Roll! :banger:

Hi,

Very nice ribbon bar indeed :cheers:

It is possible that the ante-penultimate ribbon is from Waldeck and not from Reuss. Probably the device for the HOhenzollern shoul be in gold. About that, can you show us a close up of the device please, to be sure. So it is possible that this officer received the WV4 and during the War, he received SMK, SF3bX and HHO3X. Will see in the Rick's books if we can find something.

Regards

Christophe

Another interrogation. Like Rick said above, the Wurttemberg ribbon is a mystery here. Without device it is clearly a NCO or soldier award. It is strange that an officer forget to put device to his order. . so if we can have more photos of the Hohenzollern device, we can be sure about the medal.

Christophe

Guest Rick Research

Yup, clearly silver.

Since the bar appears to have been made with NO devices--normal for the first wave before they figured things out and/or somebody who didn't want nasty snags inside his overcoat-- I suspect other devices were simply not added by the wearer--who didn't care.

The Reuss war effort medal wouldn't make any sense in this group-- leading me to suspect it's Waldeck with no Xs.

And I'm not at all sure the HOH4X device there in 2nd place is correct-- I suspect it is a false clue, and the owner was attempting to identify something else-- such as the Prussian Gold Military Merit Cross.

Sometimes it is simply not possoble to identify ribbons alone-- especially if the wearer clouded the issue with incorrect "clues."