News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK1 outer carton question

andy

Hello Andy,

I would have thought it was issued with the outer carton. The reason being is that my one has a seal (I believe later ones didn't have the seal) and the white printed paper glued to the carton says "Nur von dem Beliehenen zu ?ffnen" which roughly translates to: only to be opened by recipient or only to be opened by the person bestowed upon etc.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Hi Andy, The outer box in WW1 stayed essentially the same across the board. All were issued with the Orders Kanzlerie Seal and were probably only contracted with one maker. The box is consistent between multiple makers, unlike the WW2 cross which will have several variations.

I think the ones with no seal simply have lost it. I have not seen one without the seal that did not have evidence that it was once there. "Double-boxed" as we say, brings very strong money for one of these, even with a shabby carton. They add a very nice touch. often, you will find a name/unit penciled on the box somewhere. other times, you'll find just a stone-mint set-up that came from his surviving family...

often, you will find a name/unit penciled on the box somewhere. other times, you'll find just a stone-mint set-up that came from his surviving family...

My one has the name in pencil but it's sooooooooo faint that it can't be read.

Now how annoying is that?

The eBay cross is one of the earlier pieces IMO, that used many "leftover" 1870 cases.... These earlier cases are usually slightly domed, deeper real velvet insert, gold EK on the lid and "nail-head" opener. The earlier production for WW1 followed the exact same design, but held a different style (non-domed) lid. These are beautiful pieces....