News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GeorgeCL

Here are some Original Pagoni..These belong to a friend, and has allowed me to post for him..Thank you Greg.

Honorary Colonel-en-Chief,

4th Guard Rifle Regiment of the Imperial Family,

Adjutant Aide-de-Camp to Alexander II and Alexander III,

Czar Nicholas II.

Worn exclusively between 1914-1917 on his daily gymnastorka. The Tzars own.

IPB Image

George

Edited by georgecl

George,

I have always found Imperial German shoulder boards attractive, especially those with some of the more elaborate unit ciphers, but have only acquired a handful as collateral items that usually came with the documents I actively collect.

If I had the time, connections and financial resources, then Imperial Russian items would come a strong second.

The amazing boards you show here are tangible and not insignificant pieces of Russian history.

How did your acquaintance ever find such rare items and is this just the tip of the iceberg?

If there are more, I for one would love to see them. Many thanks in advance.

David

George, words simply fail me. Those are spectacular. I have never seen, much less been offered, anything of that quality. I hate it that my vocabulary limits me to "WOW!" Thank you for sharing.

Here's one that I own.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Truly impressive..

I shall have to frequent this section a little more. :beer:

Come early and often, JT-W. We're having a lot of fun here.

Yes, I know this next item isn't a shoulder board. Heck, it isn't even military, but I didn't think there would be much interest in a thread titled "Civilian Department Cuff Decorations".

What this is, I think, is a cuff decoration (there must be a name for these but I don't know it) from the uniform of a civilian general in the Department of Cartography, late 19th century. It is an oddball item, I admit, but when I first saw it I knew I was going to buy it.

One thing I like about this forum is that it motivates me to go through my files and boxes and -- I almost said organize, but that would be giving me too much credit -- at least try to straighten them out a little. In doing so, I keep coming across things I have forgotten all about. Like this one.

Chuck

Great cuff.

Here are some more of Gregs boards..

I wish they were mine. :love:

Here are some raw stock.

Braid came in long strips long enough to make a pair of shoulder boards. These were packaged in celophane plastic and were supplied to officers in the field for replacements.

IPB Image

The braid is then cut into two equal pieces and a template is used on the backside to sew a bullion insignia to the board. This template is used for accuracy in sewing as well as for strength and durability. A fake board will have the bullion sewing of insignias sewn directly to the braid itself. The insignia will show up as sloppy sewing with not much accuracy and detail. Often, the braid will become loose and distorted. The examples shown here are :

Major General - 2nd Turkistan Army Corps

Rear Admiral

Major General - 47th Siberian Rifle Regiment

IPB Image

I keep running across these things. I've got to get organized one of these days. Stogieman might tell you that will never happen ... but then again, it might.

I believe that this is the shoulderboard of a civil general of the Railway Department. I've always been halfway interested in railway collectibles and I picked this one up in Tbilisi one afternoon.

Now let's see some of yours.

It occurs to me that railway collectibles would be good threads in both the Imperial and Soviet forums.

Chuck