News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fantastic! At last! My cuff rank tunic....

After a looooong wait, i finally found one... perfect prewar 1904 model tunic that has had post 1913 the lay down collar modification done. To a captain in the York and Lancaster regiment. he must have served prewar, but he seems to have been in the Intel Corps during the war... and arrived in France only in August 1918.

So I guess he was chasing spies in Britain during the war? Intel Corps 14-18 seems to have been an interesting mix of men...

Very nice. Isn't there a name inside? I had a cadet cuff rank tunic dated 1919, the poor blokes mum must have written his name over the tailor's label inside, bit embarrassing and reminds me of Pikey's mum in Dad's Army.

Is there a Vernier's in the compass pouch? Complete with red rubber ring and a lid that still snaps shut like it was made yesterday?

Keep us posted on new additions and don't pay over the top for a Brit. tin hat no matter how difficult it is to find a good one that hasn't had the felt eaten away. I only have one left now, sold my others in the land sand and surf.

Tony

• 12 years later...

H

On 29/12/2009 at 20:23, Chris Boonzaier said:

After a looooong wait, i finally found one... perfect prewar 1904 model tunic that has had post 1913 the lay down collar modification done. To a captain in the York and Lancaster regiment. he must have served prewar, but he seems to have been in the Intel Corps during the war... and arrived in France only in August 1918.

So I guess he was chasing spies in Britain during the war? Intel Corps 14-18 seems to have been an interesting mix of men...

post-119-126208938443.jpg

post-119-126208941203.jpg

Hello Chris Boonzaier,

there is a posting currently running showing a photo of  'presumably" Brit, wearing a British captains ww1 tunic

asking for identification of the person.

To me I would simply like to understand as to how one identifies the respective unit - without badges, etc. just like the uniform you posted stating e.g. York and Lancaster Regiment. does the detail of the sleeve pips show that?

Thanks and regards

v.Perlet

Brit.jpeg

Hello paddywhack,

thanks, if there is a name tag well then it could be quite simple - if the persons history is known.

the buttons? are you sure? - if so there would be hundreds of different motives on buttons

Is there a button catalog/listing for British - Commonwealth units?

Regards

v.Perlet

hi there

Yes there are buttons for different regiments on uniforms and then different buttons for the corps ie RAMC RE etc and if you Google British army buttons you will see all the different buttons the regiments have as there are ALOT of different ones

On 29/01/2022 at 01:01, paddywhack said:

hi there

Yes there are buttons for different regiments on uniforms and then different buttons for the corps ie RAMC RE etc and if you Google British army buttons you will see all the different buttons the regiments have as there are ALOT of different ones

Hello paddywack,

Thanks a lot - always something to ad to ones knowledge

Regards

v.Perlet