News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Named Imperial Officer's Silverware

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

I thought I would post some Imperial German Officer's named silverware that I've had for quite a while. There are six (6) forks and (6) knives total with two (2) of the forks not named. All the forks are marked "800". They all have elaborate script regimental markings and are named to various officers with dates ranging from 1890 to 1910. The following are the names of the officers as best I could determine:

Lclt. Graf Brockdorff 1890 (not sure if I have the rank correct)

Major Frhr. v Lupin 1890

Lclt. Ludwig v. Lutner 1891 (same on the rank)

Lclt. Emil v. Chlingensperg 1891 (not sure about the rank again and the spelling on the last name)

Lclt. Christoph Frhr. v. Godin 1892

Hptm. Wilhelm Taubler 1894

Obstlnt. Johann Streck 1898

Leutnant Stendal 18908

Oberst Veterinar Bernh. Gersheim 1910

Oberartz Hans Meyer 1910

I would very much appreciate any information from anyone if you identify any of these officers or can post photographs. I think they are kind of unique, enjoyed looking at them and have always wanted more information about them.

I'll post some pictures of the knives also.

Thanks, Terry

Mississippi Gulf Coast, USA

Hello 39inf;

These are wonderful examples of engraved silverware. Obviously well used by their owners, full of dings and scratches but mostly just deeply burnished by busy hands using the utilities. A great collection all together.

Sorry, I meant to look up the units by the regimental ciphers but I didn't have a chance last night and I didn't want another day to pass before I told you nice these are. I will try again on 1/1/10.

I wish I knew more about this practice. Were only a pair (knife/fork) engraved, or were they part of a greater set (8 or 12 pairs)? If only the pair, were they used at the regimental headquarters with other individually named pieces? That would make them the owner's private set to be used when he sat down to eat. Does anyone know the practice?

Hello 39inf;

These are wonderful examples of engraved silverware. Obviously well used by their owners, full of dings and scratches but mostly just deeply burnished by busy hands using the utilities. A great collection all together.

Sorry, I meant to look up the units by the regimental ciphers but I didn't have a chance last night and I didn't want another day to pass before I told you nice these are. I will try again on 1/1/10.

I wish I knew more about this practice. Were only a pair (knife/fork) engraved, or were they part of a greater set (8 or 12 pairs)? If only the pair, were they used at the regimental headquarters with other individually named pieces? That would make them the owner's private set to be used when he sat down to eat. Does anyone know the practice?

Hi Claudius,

I agree with you, it would be nice to know if anyone knows more about them and can help identify some of the officers. Were they privately purchased and was this a widely used practice. When I handle them I try to imagine who the officer was and I can just vision all the tasty wurst, potatoes and sauerkraut they were used on let alone all the delicious German bread the knives must have spread butter on. All washed down with a tall mug of great German beer. Yummy!

Thanks for your reply, Terry

Terry,

This cutlery belonged to the first Bavarian field artillery regiment (1. BFAR) (Prinz Regent Luitpold, Munich). Although I don't have many Bavarian Ranglisten, I believe the year engraved on each is the year in which that particular officer joined the regiment. With a little effort, it would not be difficult to find first names for the officers, as the Bavarians, unlike the Prussians, always included first names in their Ranglisten.

Of particular note is Johann Streck. He commanded the 1. BFAR from 22.02.1900-01.10.1901 and then the 5. Field Art. Brig. from 01.10.01-20.08.05. He was reactivated in 1914 and commanded the bavarian 6th Reserve Division from 16.11.1914-02.12.14, when he was wounded. He subsequently died of his wounds on 12.12.1914

So, at least you now have a starting point, and who knows what else you can find out.

Andy

I was dimayed to see that twice Terry has visited this site since I and Glenn provided him information as requested regarding his post. For the life of me, I simply can not fathom why he could not make the effort to acknowledge the postings. Perhaps he has the information and was just looking to determine whether others could confirm his information. While highly unlikely, I must consider it a possibility.

Far too often members will provide information in response to postings. Often they may have that information readily at hand, other times they choose to spend time researching the question in an effort to provide a meaningful and informative response.

Speaking just for myself, I do not believe it is too much to expect acknowledgement of that effort.

While I have used Terry's post to make this point, he is certainly not alone in simply taking the information without a word of thanks.

Perhaps some of us have been too free with our information. I for one intend to be more selective in providing response in the future.

Hello arb,

I do agree with your comments regarding the courtesy of an acknowledgement of the free information provided and the proper gratification for the efforts on the part of the members here at GMIC. Considering the time of year there may be several reasons for the lack of reply on the part of the original poster, who knows?

One of the features that makes this forum what it is today is the free exchange of information between members. I would urge you to continue helping others, ignoring any lack of response from the few. If we start to ration out our knowledge it will only diminish what the GMIC has achieved in the educational area.

Keep up the good work.

Regards :cheers:

Brian

My apologies for not replying sooner as it was not intentional. I had to go out of town yesterday and did not get back until this morning. Most of the time I forget to log out of GMIC so when I look at the site this morning I saw the replies. Again it was not intentional and I very much appreciate the help members have given me in regards to the silverware. The Gentlemen's Military Interest Club is without a doubt the best source I have found for researching military history. The members are what makes it great and you are correct it is what we put in it and not what we get from it. I truly am thankful for the assistance and could never have found so much about the silverware by myself. Thank you and again my apologies.

Terry