News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

automatic Medaille militaire, CdG ?

Chris Boonzaier

Chris,

I think that is indeed the case although I haven't yet seen any official text on the subject confirming it. To my knowledge those severely wounded in combat (i.e. resulting in min. 65 % invalidity being proclaimed) would also qualify for such awards...

My mother's cousin Adjt. Antonin Gautier was killed in 1918 with SPA 80. I remember my friend Vicken Koundakjian saying that he would have qualified fr the Medialle Miltaire, but I never had any confirmation. Last week I was doing genealogical research and found a listing from a memorial tablet which confirms a posthumous Medaille Militaire and Croix de Guerre, which would fllow with the award of the first medal.

• 1 month later...

The award document unfolded. This was tucked into the lid of the M?daille Militaire box and is quite a rarely encountered document. As you can see, Blanchard was honoured about eight years after his death.

PK

... and a very early casualty as well ! A very nice document confirming these posthumous medals and indeed rare. Good show :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

[attachmentid=28981]

My mother's cousin Adjt. Antonin Gautier was killed in 1918 with SPA 80. I remember my friend Vicken Koundakjian saying that he would have qualified fr the Medialle Miltaire, but I never had any confirmation. Last week I was doing genealogical research and found a listing from a memorial tablet which confirms a posthumous Medaille Militaire and Croix de Guerre, which would fllow with the award of the first medal.

And here is a picture of Cousin Antonin (right) with his uncle (my great-uncle) Marcel Verzieux, of the G?nie. Oncle Marcel had the L?gion d'Honneur (in my collection), and Croix de Guerre.

I was able to get a nice CG, MM pair on eBay to frame up with blowups of the family photos.

[attachmentid=28981]

I was able to get a nice CG, MM pair on eBay to frame up with blowups of the family photos.

Well done ! A fitting tribute I would say. You might consider adding a French WWI Commemorative Medal and Interallied Victory Medal ...

Well done ! A fitting tribute I would say. You might consider adding a French WWI Commemorative Medal and Interallied Victory Medal ...

I have those currently in with Oncle Marcel's decorations.

Then, of course, there is my grandfather, so I need another two, and I can throw in my name-erased BWM to cover his service with the Royal Engineers as an interpreter. And in that regard, I want to get hold of these records:

Marie Emile Adrien Darte. The French government let him go in 1915, but only on 6-month extensions. Although he became a Canadian citizen c. 1920, he continued to receive French Army mobilization notices until his class retired.

Chris,

I think that is indeed the case although I haven't yet seen any official text on the subject confirming it. To my knowledge those severely wounded in combat (i.e. resulting in min. 65 % invalidity being proclaimed) would also qualify for such awards...

Here's a good example of one eBay