News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I agree that it will probably continue to be awarded to others as time passes. The wording "In The Service Of Humanity" would suggest that it is not specific to the act of saving Jews during the Second World War. Given the age of these first recipients it was probably good that they were the first to receive it.

Regards

Brian

Paul - the report specificaly mentions 26 others who would have been awarded. I think it is a very strange award - and very un-British. We have adequate awards and medals to reward virtually any act of great courage that we could think-of. He is holding the KB - perhaps it was a stock photo. Is Brown on an early election trail ?

Here is a new one...

http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/8558739.stm

I assume this is not only for saving Jews in WW2 and that is just by chance the first people to get it.

I dont see a new medal being created just for 30 people...

There was a very interesting interview with Denis Avey on the Today programme yesterday. Amongst other things he lost the sight in one eye for standing up for a young Jewish prisoner (a guard whacked him with his revolver butt).

All the best,

Paul

From the following government website:

http://www.communiti...rporate/1499842

This is evidently not a wearable medal, nor instituted by The Queen. Gordon Brown is quoted as saying that he "was pleased to create a new award".

"1. The award - British Hero of the Holocaust - is a special award akin to a state honour. The solid silver medallion is 50mm wide and in a black leather presentation box. The obverse is inscribed - 'in the service of humanity' and the reverse - 'in recognition of xxxx whose selfless actions preserved life in the face of persecution'.

2. The award was announced following a campaign by the Holocaust Education Trust and supported by Russell Brown MP EDM 1175. It called for Holocaust heroes to be awarded MBEs and OBEs posthumously."

From the following government website:

http://www.communiti...rporate/1499842

This is evidently not a wearable medal, nor instituted by The Queen. Gordon Brown is quoted as saying that he "was pleased to create a new award".

"1. The award - British Hero of the Holocaust - is a special award akin to a state honour. The solid silver medallion is 50mm wide and in a black leather presentation box. The obverse is inscribed - 'in the service of humanity' and the reverse - 'in recognition of xxxx whose selfless actions preserved life in the face of persecution'.

2. The award was announced following a campaign by the Holocaust Education Trust and supported by Russell Brown MP EDM 1175. It called for Holocaust heroes to be awarded MBEs and OBEs posthumously."

Wasn't the Kings medal for courage/service in the cause of freedom used for people who helped Jews, Pows and aircrews?

I have to say not sure what or where this sits. It surely cannot be a state award unless it is given the Royal Assent. Therefore it is a Gordon Brown trinket which seems to be an unprecedented move for a Prime Minister to award a medal/badge on behalf of the state and very unconstitutional to say the least. There is plenty of scope to award official state awards (as well as posthumous awards), to recognise the services of these individuals without quite frankly cheapening their acts by a cheesy tinpot Gordon Brown award.

I think it is probably a political move, IMHO rather transparent.

Step one) British court issues arrest warrants for Israeli leaders for war crimes in Gaza. This automatically leads to claims of antisemitism. An Israeli leader was discussing this on CNN last week.

Step two) How do you defuse charges of antisemitism and at the same time still stay strong on the issue of Gaza? You state your views on Bulldozers and clusterbombs and the Gaza offensive then protect yourself with "... any I must say! Some of my best friends are Jewish!" at the end.

IMHO this is a political version of the two step. condemn gaza, then honor people who saved Jews in WW2.

Anyway, please no comments on the Gaza issue, this is about the medal, not middle east politics. I have just given a possible reason for its institution....

I read something about this in a "teletext" item a week or two ago - the impression I got was that it was an Israeli award though not necessarily an "official" one. Baffled.

"All bids and interview requests should be directed to S*** W****** at Communities and Local Government Press Desk - on 0303 ********".

Saya a lot - you apply for your award via a local government press desk.......

I think it is probably a political move, IMHO rather transparent.

Step one) British court issues arrest warrants for Israeli leaders for war crimes in Gaza. This automatically leads to claims of antisemitism. An Israeli leader was discussing this on CNN last week.

Step two) How do you defuse charges of antisemitism and at the same time still stay strong on the issue of Gaza? You state your views on Bulldozers and clusterbombs and the Gaza offensive then protect yourself with "... any I must say! Some of my best friends are Jewish!" at the end.

IMHO this is a political version of the two step. condemn gaza, then honor people who saved Jews in WW2.

Anyway, please no comments on the Gaza issue, this is about the medal, not middle east politics. I have just given a possible reason for its institution....

The IMHO is not only for people who helped Jews in World War 2 but for other persecuted groups as well, by the nature of the beast the vast majority of the awards will be to be people who helped Jewish victims. I feel however that there are alternative ways of recognizing these brave people, who should have been recognised many years previously.

Paul

The IMHO is not only for people who helped Jews in World War 2 but for other persecuted groups as well, by the nature of the beast the vast majority of the awards will be to be people who helped Jewish victims. I feel however that there are alternative ways of recognizing these brave people, who should have been recognised many years previously.

Paul

Like I said:

Wasn't the Kings medal for courage/service in the cause of freedom used for people who helped Jews, Pows and aircrews?

or it this award "closed"?

The King's Medal for Service/Courage in the Cause of Freedom is a closed award. That said, it would have been far more suitable to re-open it and award it retrospectively than to create yet another commemorative trinket (that holds little [if any] kudos) and score some smartie points in the process. OBEs and MBEs would be unsuitable for posthumous conference for obvious reasons.

The image of Winton and his Knight Bachelor's award has cause some confusion and is unrelated to the story.