News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first Turkish War Star but it's not nickel plated

Brian Wolfe

Hello Everyone,

I've wanted to add a Turkish War Star to my collection for a long time and I've read all of the material on the forum. I found it very interesting and soon gained the confidence to make my first purchase. The star I purchased was made by BB&Co but there is no sign of it ever having been nickel plated. Nothing, not even in the smallest crevasse either on the front or on the back. The seller assures me that it is original and it has the look of antiquity but the absence of the plating has me wondering why. At first I thought it was due to wear and polishing over the years but now I have it in hand I can see no signs of the nickeling having ever been there. I'm not dissatisfied in the least as I really like the look of the dark red enamelling with the deep patina of the bronze. I can always add a plated example at a later date.

There is little damage to the enamel and what there is exists at the very tip of one of the star's tips.

I would like your opinions on this star. If it turns out to be a fake I believe the seller will refund my money. This is where you usually read that if an item is a fake it dosen't matter as it didn't cost much anyway. Well... I can't say that, as I paid at least market price, but don't let that stop you from stating your opinions.

I have another one on the way but of Turkish manufacture, I'll post it when it arrives.

Thanks for your comments, as always they are appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Here is the view of the back. The pin has broken off but the manufacturer's mark is clear. Even the break looks to be an old one. The white bits on the lower left quadrant are a couple of small white threats that I didn't notice at the time I took the photo.

This is the damage to the enamel at the tip of the star's point. It is very small and not all that noticable.

You are probably saying to yourself, "If he read all of the material on the forum then why the heck wouldn't he have purchased a text-book example?"

That's me, I like specimens that are out of the ordinary and I can add the text-book-type specimen later.

I just hope this time it is not out of the realm of the authentic.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards (with fingers crossed)

Brian

it's an authentic piece; my opinion is that it was improperly cleaned at some point (probably a very long time ago), and as a result the thin finish was removed. i have a very similar example in which the plating is 80% gone...but i think the plating on mine just wore off or faded out over time

it's an authentic piece; my opinion is that it was improperly cleaned at some point (probably a very long time ago), and as a result the thin finish was removed. i have a very similar example in which the plating is 80% gone...but i think the plating on mine just wore off or faded out over time

Many thanks Eric.

As you may have guessed I have been holding my breath on this one since it arrived earlier today.

Thanks again.

Brian

I like that one Brian, even if the silver plate has come off and the enamel is damaged, very nice indeed. I only have the basic Turkish manufactured type but like it much more than the enamelled examples.

Tony

Thanks for your comments demir and Tony.

Yes Terry these are very addictive, I'm beginning to think they are the crack cocaine of medal collecting.

That's one of the pit falls of the GMIC, you look at other collections, read the material and the next thing you are collecting them. Oh, but what a lovely addiction it is.

Thanks agian of all of your opinions and coments.

Regards

Brian