News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A couple of old caps

I have absolutely no idea whether anyone might be interested in this thread. This is the one and only budennovka I have ever come across for sale, and a decent pilotka.

The pictures of the earnest, young and likely doomed aviator are not related to the hats. I just like them and I thought you might. The 12-2-40 note is on the back of the picture of him as a cadet (or possibly a Komsomolist, I suppose) in Arkhangelsk. I lean toward aviation cadet in view of the other photo.

As I so often think ... I hope he made it.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Guest Rick Research

I've never seen a corduroy Bud' before! :cheers: Are there any markings on either for factory or date?

It's always a sobering thought with these pre-war photos: got through the Great Purge... but millions upon millions more before it was all over. Despite being a Junior Sergeant, Sasha looks about 15.

No, there are no marks on this bud. It is fully lined inside, so where you might expect to see a factory stamp is covered with what appears to be a felt lining.

That is a black star you see.

I know that it looks something like corduroy, but it really isn't. I never even noticed that pattern -- I thought I was seeing things in the picture -- until I photographed the cap. Then it really stands out and you can see it clearly enough once you know. I think this is more likely duck-cloth or maybe a canvas than corduroy. Corduroy buds? Were there such things?

Merry Christmas to all.

Chuck

Really nice!!! I drooled on my keyboard.

Thanks Rusty! :cheers:

That pic was taken this AM, so if there's anything anyone would like closeups of, it's all still there!

This was my "diversion" after I got priced out of Soviet awards. Still fun, I think. I've sold all of my post Civil War buds off save for one of the border guard ones - I think they're just really pretty. I'm also a sucker for M-1927 visor hats too. :cheeky:

The ones I am most proud of are the stack of three Czech Legion hats. When I got my first one, there were only three known in the US. I now own...three! (I'll admit that two of 'em came from overseas, making five known in the US) :rolleyes:

Dave

Here's one of mine in a material close to Chuck's, this one also with a black star. I think that the Red Army made uniforms from any material they could - bought, made, or "liberated"! The next post will have a shot of the inside of the bud.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Here's one of mine in a material close to Chuck's, this one also with a black star. I think that the Red Army made uniforms from any material they could - bought, made, or "liberated"! The next post will have a shot of the inside of the bud.

Dave

NavyFCO, it is possible to see a star with a plough?

Such stars did not put on these helmets.