News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

interesting ek1 screwback device

toning and tarnish on device is most certainly contemporary to main body of cross. threading on the post is very fine and the device screws on with a perfect fit. whether or not it is proprietary to the cross is certainly debatable, as i haven't encountered a similar example before. also, notice the leather disc. it too seems to be from the same period

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

I think this is a case where the general "look" of the screw device tells the tale. I would say it is repair made back in the day. The washer reminds me of the washers we used to make from old work boot leather when I was still home on the farm.

I really like these types of repairs as they add a personal touch to the medal that the mint condition specimens just don't have.

Nice specimen Eric.

Regards

Brian

thanks gents,

the leather washer really caught my eye. i once saw a beautiful screwback gold 1914 wound badge in .800 silver that had a leather washer, and always wondered if this material was used far more frequently than we realize. perhaps that may explain why we see so many screwback crosses without metal backing plates? perhaps it was popular because it made the awards a bit lighter and comfortable to wear. just a thought...who knows for sure

Edited by Eric Stahlhut