News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victory Medal and broken 1914-1915 Star

Hi,

I picked up those two items from Dublin Coin and Stamps fair and I have few questions....

As a new collector of British awards, I would like to ask about the naming again - I haven't seen British VM's before, where is only the name on the rim. I was sure there should be Reg No. Rank, Name, Unit/Ship.

How it is possible? Is it awarded to civilian, Police, Red Cross, etc??

Text on the rim; M.L.BUTTERWORTH

Noor

Is the same name on the Star? You say it's 'broken'. Did you mean missing a ribbon or soemthing else as well?

The BWM was issued to non-soldiers: nurses, members or various Labour Corps [Chinsese, Maltese, etc.] but most of those have some sort of unit title. The medals were issued unnamed to officers. Nice one!

Peter

Here is the 1914-1915 Star.

Ring is unfortunately broken off. Probably impossible to restore. I got his MIC as well (will post it up, when my friend can convert PDF to JPG).

I just wondering how rare unit Royal Irish Rifles awards are - just do not know do I keep it or not.

Here is the 1914-1915 Star.

Ring is unfortunately broken off. Probably impossible to restore. I got his MIC as well (will post it up, when my friend can convert PDF to JPG).

I just wondering how rare unit Royal Irish Rifles awards are - just do not know do I keep it or not.

Hi Noor,

I think it would be very hard to repair the missing ring as it was all one piece and only the most expert repair would suffice.

As to keeping the star or not. Yes, by all means keep the star, you can always display it resting on a piece of ribbon making it look like a court mount, if you know what I mean. I think the Royal Irish Rifles is a great regiment to collect. Lots of history there.

Nice medal.

Regards

Brian

Hello Timo

In my mind the victory medal could be to someone in the French Red Cross see below

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6278093&queryType=1&resultcount=11

It wouldn't be an officers medal as they were issued named with a rank. I would feel pretty confident that the above card is your recipient.

Royal irish stars arn't uncommon if his service file is on ancestry it may be a good idea to take a read and see if there is anything that sets this start out from others.

cheers

Chris

Wrong information here. Officers had to apply for their medals BUT they were received officially impressed with rank, initials and name for army personel and with the force added after the surname if R.N., R.A.F., etc.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Wrong information here. Officers had to apply for their medals BUT they were received officially impressed with rank, initials and name for army personel and with the force added after the surname if R.N., R.A.F., etc.

Kevin in Deva. cheers.gif

Kevin is 100% i would also like to add that 14 and 15 stars to officers would also show unit. I also know medals to Australian officers have AIF after the naming.

Unnamed medals are sometimes found in groups most likely as replacements obtained by collectors to "complete a group".

Cheers

Chris

There are some experts over at the 1914-1918 site: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55031&st=50&start=50 who probably can tell you which hospital based on the medal roll page

FRX 101B5 276

The 1914-1918 Forum rules don't allow posting MICs, but quoting the above number should be sufficient.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Blame it on early morning brain and a caffeine deficit! :(

Peter

Great news.... thank you to the other forum members (WW1 forum - Norman and Michael here cheers.gif ), I found out VM owner's:

Full name; Orderly Mary Loiuse Butterworth

Organisation; Scottish Women's Hospitals

Location; Royaumont Abbey

Period; 15 october 1918 until 2 December 1918

Royaumont Abbey is a Cistercian abbey, located near Asnières-sur-Oise in Val-d'Oise, approximately 30 km north of Paris, France.

From January 1915 to March 1919 the Abbey was used as a military hospital (200 beds) by the Scottish Women's Hospitals, under the direction of the French Red Cross. After the war the Chief Medical Officer, Miss Frances Ivens CBE MS(Lond) ChM(Liverp) FRGOG (1870-1944), was awarded membership of the Legion d'Honneur.

Hopefully I can find out more but start is great!!!!cool.gif

Edited by Noor