News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Soviet Republic Commemorative Medal

Hi Gents,

I must admit, I do not like this medal at all. I think that besides the politics and the philosophy behind, it is extremely militant and ill in its message, elementary or even primitive in design, simplistic in finish, to tell the least. But, nevertheless, this is also an HPR medal and, I think, it is interesting for you to see two rare variants. In this picture, in the upper row you can see the two usual pieces. Below there are the two interesting variations.

Regards,

cimbineus

tanacsdiktatura-vari_www.kepfeltoltes.hu

…and here is a closer look at the two variations. The first one with the mane of the designer (below the factory building, "TOTH-L" = Toth Laszlo), and the second medal made of bronze.

tanacsdikt-kozeli_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.j

Edited by cimbineus

I think it was stolen from the Mint before silver plating.

Hi Gents,

Yes, this can be one possibility, but there are some others too. For example, this medal was awarded not only as medal, but as plaque as well. Some of those were like this one, but without the ring for the ribbon, of course. It is not excluded that simply a mistake happened, and the two pieces were mixed up. Or, during the production some medals avoided the phase of silver plating and the quality control did not notice that. Perhaps, there are some other options as well, but this medal is here, anyway, as a curiosity.

Regards,

cimbineus

Edited by cimbineus

The medal does represent a darker time of Hungarian history where politics were executed with murder and torture. As for the asthetic appeal its quite Soviet Utopian - but it goes back to the earlier experiments with the art theory of the early 1920's - a nice way to commemorate the event even though the ideal of the late 1950's would have been more of the type you see with East German medals. Its interesting to see the Toth L signatute and now I have to go and look trough my own collection of these to see if I have a variant - oh how i miss the days of just randomly buying them...

...Was there ever a "roll" published of who got these?...

Most probably, no, there was not.

...Were there newspaper stories about the "old vets" in the media?

Yes, there were some, but mostly politically motivated, colourful and not reliable at all stories, censored and approved by the Communist Party.

cimbineus