News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

According to the one-page entry on the web site of the British Library of Political and Economic Science, MOPR -- Международная Организация Помощи борцам Революции, or International Organization for the Support of Revolutionaries -- began in 1926. However, the earliest of these documents, the first one I show here, shows that it existed in the Republics at least as early as 1924.

By 1936, the book had had been modernized, at least in Georgia, and this second pin had been added to those available. The second book is interesting in that the front carries the organization's name in four languages, none of them Russian. The only Russian is the booklet printing information on the inside back cover.

By the 1940s the membership booklet had been reduced to a crude paper folder, as this Russian MOPR example illustrates. This was probably because paper and printing facilities were strategic assets not to be squandered on non-military uses. The early badge was still in use.

Now let's see some of your MOPR collectibles.

Chuck

To my information the MOPR was founded in the year 1922 and exists till 1948.

The Organisation MOPR was founded 1922 by the KOMINTERN to liberate political prisoner and terrorists.

The KOMINTERN was an international federation of all the communist party?s of the world. It was founded in 1919 (4th March) by Lenin, Bucharin, Tschitscherin,Trotzki, Sinowjew and 30 other communist politicans from countries. There target was to spread the revolution all over the world.

Attached is a picture of a man wearing a MOPR badge.

Hi, Gentlemen! Alfred is right: MOPR was founded on 30 Nov 1922. But they celebrate on 18 Jul (Paris Communa Day). There were 70 national sections by 1932 gathered 14000000 persons !!! It lived till 1947...

One badge more, the last version...

[attachmentid=21591]

Hi, Danny!

This is a very goos question!!! I used to be a member of the following organizations: Communist Party, Comsomol, Trade Union,..., Protection of Monuments Society :speechless: ... And what I remeber they all collected money first of all!!! It was a well organized cash flow! It was used as a political or social pressure on people... There 9.5M members from USSR among 14M totally - a lot of money!!!

MOPR. It seems Alfred is an expert in MOPR, he says "liberate political prisoner" - the main idea. From the Charter we can red: to defend workers (revolutionaries) against white terror and help terror's victims; moral, juridical and money support for polotical prisoners, emigrants and their families, families of dead revolutionaris... something like this...

During the war MOPR declared new goal: to support the Red Army, families of lost soldiers, anti-fashists propaganda. It stopped in 1947

Some regional organization were connected to prisons abroad (outside USSR) for sponsorship. There are still parts of "MOPR", Red Help, in France and South America... :ninja:

Dima

What exactly did this membership do? Propaganda?

Danny -- I think that Dima has given us a superb answer. First and foremost, I believe that MOPR was a cash cow designed to bring money into the party coffers. As best I can recall, on the surface MOPR was supposed to be supporting jailed revolutionaries abroad, particularly in Africa. My guess is that not much of the revenue actually went to that end.

Dima -- In case I didn't say so before, welcome to the group. With your experience you are going to be a very valuable resource for us. Thank you for your insight.

Chuck