News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mystery Warlord breast star

JBFloyd

Can anyone identify this piece, or the warlord illustrated? It's gilt and enamel, 60mm, with a blank reverse. The detail shot includes the characters below the bust.

Sent the pictures to a friend in Taipei. Let's see what happens.

Hugh

Sent the pictures to a friend in Taipei. Let's see what happens.

Hugh

Here's the input from my friend. He's not a phalerist, but has worked with me on military programs for many years.

The four characters can be translated as "for the memory of Constitution Protection", see the below Wiki page for historical details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Protection_Movement The head seems to be that of Cai E ( or Tsai Ao ) who led the army to up-seat Yuan Shi-Kain during the movement, under Dr. Sun Yet-Sen, the founding farther of ROC. ( I don't think the head belongs to Yuan Shi-Kai since he was de-throned. It certainly does not look like that of Dr. Sun Yet-Sen. )

Even I had difficulty getting answers from the Military Museum, so I am not surprised.

Jeff, it is a nice medal indeed. The translation would be "in commemoration of Protection of Provisional Constitution of the Republic of China". From 1917 to 1922, Sun Yat-sen led against the Northern Government in Beijing. It could be one of the local warloads who were for the pretection.

let me know if you would like to trade or sell this medal.

Cheers,

Lingqi

Here's the input from my friend. He's not a phalerist, but has worked with me on military programs for many years.

The four characters can be translated as "for the memory of Constitution Protection", see the below Wiki page for historical details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Protection_Movement The head seems to be that of Cai E ( or Tsai Ao ) who led the army to up-seat Yuan Shi-Kain during the movement, under Dr. Sun Yet-Sen, the founding farther of ROC. ( I don't think the head belongs to Yuan Shi-Kai since he was de-throned. It certainly does not look like that of Dr. Sun Yet-Sen. )

Even I had difficulty getting answers from the Military Museum, so I am not surprised.

Sun Yat-sen is not bald. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone identify this piece, or the warlord illustrated? It's gilt and enamel, 60mm, with a blank reverse. The detail shot includes the characters below the bust.

Jeff:

Didn't I already ID that medal? Cao Kun Protector of the Constitution medal?

Dick

first, attached the photo of warlord Tan Hao-Min.

second, the four chinese words on the medal 护法纪念, translation word by word is: protect-护, law-法, commemorative-纪念. the intact translation of the four chinese words is: commemorative of the law-protecting movement.

third,the law-protecting movement, was to protect the constitution of the republic of china(1911), against the prisident Yaun Shi-Kai who attempted to be the emperor. this movement was launched by the warlords of the southwest part of china(Yun-Nan province and Guang-Si province). so it had no relationship with the warlords of the north part of china. and Cao Kun was an important member of the group of Bei-Yang system, it means he belonged to the north part of china, and he can not be the person on this medal.

Edited by adam

• 1 year later...

second, the four chinese words on the medal 护法纪念, translation word by word is: protect-护, law-法, commemorative-纪念. the intact translation of the four chinese words is: commemorative of the law-protecting movement.

Indeed Adam!

third,the law-protecting movement, was to protect the constitution of the republic of china(1911), against the prisident Yaun Shi-Kai who attempted to be the emperor. this movement was launched by the warlords of the southwest part of china(Yun-Nan province and Guang-Si province). so it had no relationship with the warlords of the north part of china. and Cao Kun was an important member of the group of Bei-Yang system, it means he belonged to the north part of china, and he can not be the person on this medal.

Completely agree!

this is not Cai E !

his name is Tan Hao-Ming, a local warlord of Guangxi Province.

Well, I am not so sure that it is Tan Hao-Ming...

It could be Chen Jiongming (a.k.a. Chen Chiung-ming, a.k.a. Chén Jiǒngmíng) commander-in-chief of the Guangdong Army, who was instrumental in backing Sun Yat-sen`s Constitutional Protection Movement

For more info go http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Jiongming.

I think this one could be our man...

Let`s check his photo`s! ;)

• 11 years later...

Dear Gentlemen,

Interesting medal. There are two meanings for "護法", "Guardian of the Dharma" or "Guardian of the Constitution".

It was also the name of a famous Buddhist scholar: Dharmapala of Nalanda - Wikipedia

Here is the link for the " 護法運動Constitutional Protection Movement - Wikipedia

image.jpeg.28fb62dbb8d72ad17cf1475564d7eb73.jpeg

Yours sincerely,

No one

Dear Gentlemen,

The man is the governor of Guǎngxī, Lù Róngtíng (his title "dūdū" "military governor and civil administrator").

Wikipedia Lu Rongting - Wikipedia

Quote: "Sun Yat-sen initiated the Constitutional Protection Movement in 1917, and Lu played an important role. Under the military reorganization in 1918, Tang Jihao and Lu were appointed joint chiefs. This organization was instrumental in establishing peace between the Beijing government (under the Zhili Clique) and the Constitutional Protection Movement armies."

Yours sincerely,

No one