News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi person from Levy Army granted 4 British medals including the rare RAF

Latest I got collection for the one personality from Iraqi Levy ArmyAmong the four medals there are two have the name of the granted person: General Service Medal George V – with clasp ( Kurdistan) – 55002 S. MJR. YOKHANA HASSADO. ASSYRIAN BN.

Royal Air Force Long Service and Good Conduct Medal George VI – with the clasp,( Royal Air Force Levies, IRAQ.)

– X.16 R.E. YOUKHANA HASSADO.

Defence Medal.

Mini-sized GSM with clasp of Kurdistan.

Medals from Left hand side to the Right as follows:

1- Mini-sized GSM with / clasp of Kurdistan.

2- Defence Medal.

3- Large-sized GSM with / clasp of Kurdistan - name written on its rim.

4- RAFLS & Good Conduct medal with / clasp of RAF Levies,IRAQ. name written on its rim (the name for granted person is same as one written on 3rd medal)

scans of the medals' photos as shown above.

Regards for all.

Edited by Baghdadi2007

To find an RAF Levies Iraq LS&GC is quite something. To find it with another named medal to the same individual is simply... awesome. I suspect there's a 39-45 War Medal missing, but that group needs mounting up in all its glory. I take it you're in Iraq?

Although not a medal collector myself, I find this group absolutely superb. Hopefully you'll be able to find out more about the previous proud owner as it's such a rare group.

From what I gather the R.A.F. were in total control of Iraq when it was British Protectorate during the 1920/30's and the ground force element was provided by the R.A.F. Armoured Car Squadrons, there being no R.A.F. Regiment during this period.

Rihab,

Well done on getting a named Levy pair /group. There cannot be to many Levies who served long enough to get a GSM and LSGC although there must be others out there!

The Assyrian Levies were raised in 1919 for local defence but did see offensive action. In October 1922 they were transferred from British Army to RAF control.

Owain.

Rihab,

Well done on getting a named Levy pair /group. There cannot be to many Levies who served long enough to get a GSM and LSGC although there must be others out there!

The Assyrian Levies were raised in 1919 for local defence but did see offensive action. In October 1922 they were transferred from British Army to RAF control.

Owain.

AS-Salam Alaykoom Owain,

Thank u very much for joining this forum and for the very nice information u wrote for giving benifit to all members & visitors of GMIC.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

I have a group to the Assyrian Parachute Company (WW2) in my collection. Will post some photos soon.

AS-Salam Alaykoom Owain,

Thank u very much for joining this forum and for the very nice information u wrote for giving benifit to all members & visitors of GMIC.

Cheers

Yes Full entitlement is 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, BWM, GSM bar Palestine 1945-48 (RAF naming style). GSM named to 1545 SGT PATROS MATTI.

He served in the Street Fighting in Athens (aiborne operation December 1944) and the the battle of Sarande Albania 6th October 1945 an amphibious assault with 40th Commando. He is on the nominal roll for both actions as a Cpl.

I haven't managed to confirm how he earned his GSM Palestine as the unit was demobed back to Iraq and may have been absorbed into RAF Regiment Armored Car Regiment.

I suspect that he was also entitled to a 1939-45 Star and War Medal. The Regs are here: http://medals.nzdf.m...nts/h9-reg.html and show that Iraq was a Theatre of war:

ii) Middle East

Iraq 10.4.41 31.5.41