News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does this Prague medal look like a good one?

I'm always skittish about these nowadays with all the fakes running around out there. I've needed/wanted one of these for years and finally managed to get one for a very good price. It's got the separately soldered ring and seems to look okay to these all but worn out eyes of mine... but hoping for a confirmation one way or the other. Any help would be deeply appreciated!beer.gif

It seems to be good, but I'd like to see pictures of the obverse and reverse at a 90 degrees angle (right on top).

Sadly these are the only pics I have of it at the moment. Will have to wait till I get it and might be as much as a couple of weeks. Will "try" to get other pics from the seller if it's not already packed to go out. Will post as soon as I can.beer.gif

Thanks!

Dancheers.gif

A general comment - Its always good to ask for proper pictures before buying anything at all. The easiest way of concealing defects/flaws on a medal is to skew the camera or the medal one way of the other. I believe that when buying anything, the seller should have no excuses when asked to provide better quality photos or custom photos of details requested by the buyer.

Jim :cheers:

Keeping my fingers crossed that I got a good one, but if not it'll do as a space holder.

Thanks in advance!jumping.gifjumping.gifbeer.gif

Dancheers.gif

The connection link is a replacement, ear of medal looks like been soldered. Medal itself looks good, but let's wait for better pics for final opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay... the medal finally arrived. Ticked me off a bit as A) the seller never did send me additional pics and B) he waited a full week before shipping it! banger.gif It even states in his auctions that items are shipped within two days.mad.gif He ONLY ships Priority Mail which had it been shipped right out would have had it here in like 2-3 days. So much for $7 shipping!violent.gif

Anyhow, I've just done some scans... hoping this will tell the tale one way or the other. I paid $15.50 plus the shipping so I'm not out a lot either way but be nice if it's a good one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't believe it's genuine for the following reasons:

1. There's an extra bead of solder, especially seen from the back, just where the medal and ring meet- very sloppy for Mondvor. Also, the ring seems a bit large.

2. There are feint lines in two areas of the date, indicating an uneven-ness of the background.

3. All elements of the type (lettering) should be at the same height from the background. I see some deviation in places.

4. The sun rays should also be at the same height from the background- it's easy to see that several aren't.

5. There seems to be a slightly beveled edge- the edge should be perfectly flat and at a 90 degree angle to the medal face. A beveled, polished edge can hide a casting.

6. While this could have been changed by the veteran- and many were by those who remained in the service after the war- the new suspension bothers me.

7. Looks like the "lip" (around the medal's edge) has been ground off the backside and polished over. Pretty easily seen.

At $15.50, this shouldn't hurt too much. Sorry...

Edited by Greg Collins

What are those ?

The sun on medal looks to have double line? And the ear I don't like it very match. It seems to me he sent you different think that in first photos tho.

Sorry for the late reply gents... this week has been a bear and and a half at work... been totally wiped out! But deeply appreciate all your help on this one. The seller (truckingleo) listed a few more of these over time since I won mine... using the same set of pics as on the one I got.mad.gif No wonder he wouldn't send me any additional pics. I mean I finally at least have a place holder till a good one comes along at the right price and I'm not out much at all but based on the other pics I had thought there was at least a chance of this one being real. As it is I've had to miss out on three good ones for very low prices over the last year. Seems every time the auctions end I have to be on the road with no way to bid. Probably should look into auto bidding but I've always kinda felt like that really wasn't very sporting. I prefer mano e mano down to the wire. But in this instance I've been very tempted. Seems when I can't be here watching them they go for cheap and when I'm on top of them they go too high.

But I'm sure it'll all work out over time.

Again many many thanks for all your help on this one. I deeply appreciate. Here's hoping I can show you a good one before it's all said and done.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif