News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal bar with Turkish & Bulgarian awards

Hello Gents!

What do you think about this medal bar? It 's clear that the Bulgarian Commemorative Medal has the incorrect position. But from the point of view of logic, awards on the 7-place medal bar moved after reception of the Bulgarian commemorative medal which the veteran has been awarded last of all/ But it is impossible to understand why he arranged it near to the Bulgarian Cross for bravery. In addition the Ottoman Silver Sanayi Medal has a higher status than Gallipoli Star, so it is located incorrectly too. But it's possible to explain it to that the Sanayi Medal was noncombatant award. I need your opinions on originality of this medal bar.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Sergio

I would buy it in a heart-beat. Can you say "Goeben" or "Breslau"?

Many thanks, dear Gents! I like this medal bar too and now I can be completely quiet!

But dear Ulsterman, why do your think that the owner was the navy?

Regards,

Sergio.

I would buy it in a heart-beat. Can you say "Goeben" or "Breslau"?

About 5-6 years ago on eBay.de there were a series of portrait photos (@20 or so) sold out of Austria of sailors aboard the Breslau and Goeben . Most were very clear portraits and taken in Istanbul as I recall and they went for fantastic sums. Almost ALL (90%+)the sailors in the photos had an EK2 and a Gallipoli Star and MANY had Bulgarian medals as well. The combination (EK2/OHB/BMVK) is unusual and memorable.

The Bulgarian cross was handed out liberally to rankers who were IN Combat, not as a merit or courtesy award. Whoever this ranker was, he was almost certainly in the Balkans/Middle East in 1915-18.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that the sabers and bar on the Liyakat Medal are mounted upside-down.

Can someone confirm?

Either way, a beautiful bar.

You are 100% right: the clasp with the turkish inscription and sabers for the Sanayi Medal is mounted upside-down. But it was probably easier to mount this detail from the point of view of the medal bar-maker. And the sense of a turkish inscription was not clear for the majority of Europeans. The basic detail of this clasp probably were sabres.

Edited by Sergio