News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greetings All.

I have a medal that I believe is a German Naval WWI Veteran Medal, but I am not sure. I would appreciate AS MUCH information about this medals as possible, particularly if it IS a Naval WWI Veteran Medal, what specific organization issued it, who qualified to receive it, when it was created, who made it, etc. Every tidbit of information will be useful.

I have attahced a Low Resolution photo of the medal here on the forum, but I have two High Resolution Medals on PhotoBucket, at the following link:

http://s752.photobuc...0Naval%20Medal/

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Take care. Linas

Hello Linas;

What you have is a Ehrenlegon medal or better known as the "Flanders' Cross". It is a privately purchased cross, available after the war. Mainly used by Naval forces (and naval ground units) that served in WWI.

Bars were available for the ribbon with different battles that the owner participated in. The medal was amoung the ones outlawed after 1934 and replaced with the standardized Hindenburg Cross for all veterans.

Others likely have more details, perhaps how qualification was determined, the maker(s), number issued, etc.

Admiral Ludwig von Schröder and the veteran association of the "Marinekorps Flandern" established the Flandern Cross on September 13, 1921

About 30.000 Flandern crosses were awarded after the war.

The following Battle bars (Gefechtsspangen) could be added to the ribbon

Flandernschlacht

Flandernschlacht (1917)

Durchbruchsschlacht

Ypern

Yser

Somme

Antwerpen

Seekrieg

Luftkrieg