News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Bulgarian medals

Noor

Hi all,

I picked up these two medals and I would like to learn more about them. First at all, does the medals looks fine, how common these medals are for a so short war and aprox how many of these were minted. Maybe there is some other information about these? Looks like Silver medal ring is fixed.

166565118518f5_l.jpg

These are commemorative medals for the Serbia-Bulgaria War, 1885. The first issue of the medals had image of king Alexander I Battenberg. However shortly after the war he was dethroned /a big mistake!/ and the medals with his image was stopped. They are very rare.

After these events came the 2nd issue, your medals. The silver ones were for direct participants in the war. The bronze medals were for soldiers, who were in the army, but did not meet direct action, for doctors, officials or civilians which somehow helped the army in the war. The numbers usually quoted are 60 000 for the silver medal and 30 000 for the bronze. The silver medals are common to find, the bronze not so common. But there is a little catch, the medals are very common, but less the ribbon! In fact the ribbon may be called more valuable than the silver medal! Finding one with good ribbon is difficult. I am not sure about the left one, should be white instead of purple? The ring is not fixed, these are that way, flat.

Theodor, thank you for great explanation. I'm slowly learning about Bulgarian decorations.

One question I have: on many Bulgarian medals, I noticed this thin "connecting" ring between the medal and suspension, like the silver ring on Noor's bronze medal. Are these connecting rings original part of medals or later repair/modification?

• 1 year later...

Hi Valter,

Theodor gave you a very nice information.

The thin ring is added later on All medals come with a very nice thick ring as the one on the Silver medal

Here are the first issue and an Awarding Document, which are much more difficult to get then the second issue medals

Graf

Hi Ulsterman,

Thank you for the comment

Which one did you mean the Document or the Medals ?

Both ways you are rigth. That is why we collect old Militaria You can not compare the quality of the new one with the old one.

The new one can look very shiny, however lacks the quality The makers did not want to make quick bucks, the wanted to withstand and keep their reputation very high.

Graf