News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Latest OMG Find - E.Kent R. / Engineers / Royal Navy - Father/Son

Will try this once again..... Getting very discouraged with site......

Good Day Ladies and Gentlemen.....

Please find attached some photos of a Father / Son group that I purchased today from an estate/garage sale.....

Have a little bit of knowledge but will be doing some extensive research.....

Hope that you enjoy.....

CHARLES PATTERSON LLOYD - (Father)

EGYPT MEDAL - NO BARS - Lieutenant C. S. Lloyd, 2 / East Kent Regiment

BRITISH SOUTH AFRICA COMPANY MEDAL - NO BARS - RHODESIA 1896 - Captain C. P. Lloyd, Engineers (Engraved)

W.W. 1 - 1914/15 TRIO - Major C. P. Lloyd, East Kent Regiment

KHEDIVE'S STAR - Un-Named as issued

MAURICE CHARLES HUMPHREY LLOYD - (Son)

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS - Midshipman - River Clyde, Gallipoli

BAR TO DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS - Sub-Lieutenant - Zeebrugge

The DSC is un-named as issued but has case of issue, the above information is from a slip of hand written paper that was in the case....

Another interesting item is the BSAC medal has engraved naming but only to Engineers spelt out in full not Royal Engineers, does anyone have a similar one??

Mike

post-9764-095249800 1287578718_thumb.jpg

post-9764-033844300 1287578756_thumb.jpg

Mike - I'm a little worried - you say ' getting very discouraged with site' . Is this because not enough members are answering ? I have no experience with other Forums - so I don't know if this lack of response is the usual pattern. I have noticed that whilst a lot look , it is mainly the same group who reply with comments and information. I suppose it's normal - we all collect different things - even within medals.

Sometimes I think the more straightforward collectors just don't realise how exceptionally rare a DSC and Bar is - particularly for the two Actions mentioned. I felt a little let down when the AFC received just passing interest. However, I feel that being part of an important Forum gives us older - and perhaps - more experienced members, a responsibility to show and discuss special medals which are not commonly seen - this, after all, is how we all learn. One other point - you are an experienced past Chairman of a Militaria Society in Canada - as am I for Sth. Africa. We both know that for many collectors it can become a game of numbers - ie. have I got more than you ? With your enormous collection plus, our many other serious members, we are in a position to keep this sub-forum an important learning experience - so, please don't give-up on us ?

Thankyou for showing both sets. Mervyn

KIA he was.....

The cutter was made fast to the stem

of the motor launch, which went out of the harbour stern

first at full speed. Lieutenant Billyard- Leake reports

that this motor launch was entirel)' responsible for saving

the survivors from the Iphigema. Heavy machine-gun

fire was concentrated on her while on passage out, at

which time Sub-Lieutenant Maurice C. H. Lloyd, ^ D.S.C.

{Dominion), was mortally, and Lieutenant James C. Keith

Wright,' R.N.V.R., of M.L. 416, dangerously wounded,

and two of the motor launch's crew of four killed. I trust

that the Lords Commissioners, who have so many claims

to judge, will consider that this recital of the part played

by the Ipliigenia well justifies my mention of Lieutenant

Billyard-Leake and of Mate (E) Sydney Greville West ^

{Benhow), who throughout the preparations and ojieration

worked his department in an admirable manner.

Mike - I'm a little worried - you say ' getting very discouraged with site' . Is this because not enough members are answering ? I have no experience with other Forums - so I don't know if this lack of response is the usual pattern. I have noticed that whilst a lot look , it is mainly the same group who reply with comments and information. I suppose it's normal - we all collect different things - even within medals.

Sometimes I think the more straightforward collectors just don't realise how exceptionally rare a DSC and Bar is - particularly for the two Actions mentioned. I felt a little let down when the AFC received just passing interest. However, I feel that being part of an important Forum gives us older - and perhaps - more experienced members, a responsibility to show and discuss special medals which are not commonly seen - this, after all, is how we all learn. One other point - you are an experienced past Chairman of a Militaria Society in Canada - as am I for Sth. Africa. We both know that for many collectors it can become a game of numbers - ie. have I got more than you ? With your enormous collection plus, our many other serious members, we are in a position to keep this sub-forum an important learning experience - so, please don't give-up on us ?

Thankyou for showing both sets. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn......

The reason I am getting discouraged is that even though I check the box to be notified of posts by email in threads that I have started and in threads that I have put an answer i am not receiving any answers or emails..... This means that I have to log in every so often to see if there has been any answers, it is getting a bit frustration..... Maybe when the Mods do the next upgrade there can be a box in the profile / registration that you only have to click once and you will get replies to any of your threads or posts..... I am a member of several other forums and this is automatic......

However, I feel that being part of an important Forum gives us older - and perhaps - more experienced members, a responsibility to show and discuss special medals which are not commonly seen - this, after all, is how we all learn. One other point - you are an experienced past Chairman of a Militaria Society in Canada - as am I for Sth. Africa. We both know that for many collectors it can become a game of numbers - ie. have I got more than you ? With your enormous collection plus, our many other serious members, we are in a position to keep this sub-forum an important learning experience - so, please don't give-up on us ?

I agree with you on these comments..... A well known collector here in Calgary really started me off on this path of history and fun by giving me a box of medals and then taught me about each one and that was over 45 years ago and since then I have been trying to share some of that knowledge and knowledge that I have learned over the years.....

Oh I will not give up but it is a bit frustrating.....

Oh another thing thats comes to mind a friend who comes in and looks occasionally says he has a very very hard time reading the posts because he is colour blind and the background causes him trouble, does not bother me though......

Mike

Here is some more information that I have found from the London Gazette and from another collector.....

Mike

MAURICE CHARLES HUMPHREY LLOYD

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS - Midshipman - River Clyde, Galliopli

London Gazette: 14-3-1916, Page 2870/1 (Galipolli)

Midshipman Maurice Charles Humphrey Lloyd R.N.: While under heavy fire on the 25th of April, assisted to secure the lighters which formed a pier between the River Clyde and the shore.

BAR TO DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS - Sub-Lieutenant - Zeebrugge

In recognition of distinguished services during the operations against Zeebrugge and Ostend on the night of 22-23 April 1918-----

London Gazette: 23-7-1918, Page 8588/90

Sub-Lieutenant Maurice Charles Humphrey Lloyd DSC, R.N. (Iphigenia), (Since died of wounds): Showed coolness under heavy fire and by his bravery and devotion to duty, set a fine example to his men. On abandoning ship, after she had been sunk. Sub. Lieut. Lloyd was severely wounded. This very gallant young officer has since died of his wounds.

Lt Lloyd was one of the heroes of the Zeebrugge Raid.

His emotive story is encapsulated in the white ensign held at the Dover Museum still stained with his blood.

He was an officer aboard HMS Iphigenia, supervising aft, when she was deliberately sunk in the entrance to the canal. Before leaving the ship and boarding the rescue vessel ML282 he retrieved the ship's white ensign. As ML282 escaped, Lloyd was mortally wounded by a shell but clung on to the flag.

Lord Keyes, the raid's commander, recalled how Lloyd had "begged for a place in one of the blockships" after he had completed all the appointments. Lloyd got his wish after the Iphigenia's lieutentant got appendicitis.

As he lay dying aboard the H.M.S. Warwick, Keyes's flagship, which had picked up ML282's complement, Keyes was so moved he petitioned the King to approve an immediate DSC before he died.

He wrote: "Lloyd had the H.M.S. Iphigenia's white ensign wrapped around his waist and it was saturated with his blood. I think he knew his number was up, but was perfectly happy and fearfully proud of having been able to bring away the ensign, which I told him he should keep."

The King approved the award immediately and Keyes was able to tell Lloyd of his DSC bar after his transfer to the hospital ship Liberty, moored at Dover. Keyes recalled that Lloyd, and another officer in the same situation (who actually survived), were "both conscious and fearfully pleased" by their awards.

Lloyd died later that day - a day after the raid on Zeebrugge.

His DSC bar citation spoke of his "great coolness under heavy fire", adding that "by his bravery and devotion to duty he set a fine example to his men".