News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have my doubts about this "old style" bar

Hello Gents

I recently went on a trip to Sydney and photographed this piece at a well known Australian dealer's shop while I was down there. To me it seems an impossible combination, along with the actual construction (the stitching on the reverse, different age wear to the ribbons, some ribbons single, others double etc)...I'd welcome your opinions, but this is certainly not one I'd spend any money on.

cheers

Jas

post-173-077525000 1290399761_thumb.jpg

:) I told the dealer exactly those things but, along with the ribbon combo...a "pre-1915" style bar with 2 WW1 commemmoratives on it? I didn't think so, but I'm sure he still has it for sale in the shop along with a lot of other quesionable items. Only one bar really took my fancy but the price.... :banger:

cheers

Jas

:) Only one bar really took my fancy but the price.... :banger:

cheers

Jas

:Cat-Scratch: Pray tell, what was on the bar? Overall you are justified in not paying outrageous prices for items. I don't need to tell you about ebray and how a seller will post an EK2 as the rarest medal on earth.

But just curious what your local dealer had that he thinks is so valuable.

Here's the one....being a fan of anything colonial it caught my eye. This has done the rounds through a few dealers for a while down here. But I can't justify the price right now :( and the pin assembly is a rather like thin wire....it SEEMS original, having seen it in hand.....

His pricing seems to be based more on the fact it has an EK2 (his price for a loose one $200 - $300AU depending on his mood I think!!), and the Hamburg Hanseatic (price loose $300AU :whistle: ). I'm quoting these prices from these particular medals hanging in his display cabinet. Based in the prices he's asking for these things we must all be sitting on small fortunes!!!!

His words to me were "someone probably swapped a combattant DSWA for a non-combattant DSWA somewhere along the track". It doesn't seem likely that would have happened however, as the medal is certainly original to the bar.

cheers

Jas

post-173-049581800 1290468895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jason

His pricing seems to be based more on the fact it has an EK2 (his price for a loose one $200 - $300AU depending on his mood I think!!), and the Hamburg Hanseatic (price loose $300AU :whistle: ). I'm quoting these prices from these particular medals hanging in his display cabinet. Based in the prices he's asking for these things we must all be sitting on small fortunes!!!!

His words to me were "someone probably swapped a combattant DSWA for a non-combattant DSWA somewhere along the track". It doesn't seem likely that would have happened however, as the medal is certainly original to the bar.

cheers

Jas

Well, that doesn't seem too bad. Just let me convert your AU to my currency and....OH MY GOD! He is asking a lot. He's not selling medals, he's displaying his collection with an offer to anyone that wants it. At that price you might tease my loose Hamburg from me.

DSWA non-combattant on a WWI combattant bar. It just might be all about what capacity the gent was acting in when in the kolonial forces. Someone who knows a lot more about the history of DSWA might be able to say if this was likely.

On a different level, I don't why someone would WANT to swap out the combattant DSWA for a non-combattant. What is there to gain for the trouble.

:) the only thing in the shop which were reasonably priced were some silver and bronze IABs, they were only $25AU more than what I used pay for them nearly 20 years ago before I went purely Imperial! :cheers:

cheers

Jas

Edited by Jason

DSWA non-combattant on a WWI combattant bar. It just might be all about what capacity the gent was acting in when in the kolonial forces. Someone who knows a lot more about the history of DSWA might be able to say if this was likely.

From what I've read the DSWA and China non-combatant medals were awarded to personell aiding the war effort back home. I love this quote from Paul C on this forum...

...the SWA NK or Steel. The NK version is given to people who aided the SWA campaign and did not actually fight. The aid could have been as simple as serving donuts to the soldier as they boarded to ships to SWA.

So someone like training staff, supply and depot people or ships crews might get it? Then be called up for combat service when it was "all hands on deck" for the First World War... does that sound plausible?

Cheers

Chris