News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This mornings new arrivals!

Afternoon chaps and chapettes

The postman managed to brave the deep snow and sub-zero temperaturs this morning, and behold the treasures he brought!

This little lot all came from one guy who's father had collected it over about 40 years.

Some nice little peices - im not sure about all of it but over all im more than chuffed! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Feast your eyes

post-1812-073340900 1291387369_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dan! :cheers:

Next up is a polish badge. Have definately seen this before but cant bring to mind what it is....

Pin is missing.

Greek urban police, pre-1984. http://www.astinomia.gr/index.php?option=ozo_content&perform=view&id=34&Itemid=13&lang=EN

What's the naming on the Victory Medal (which has a British War Medal ribbon)?

an Irish (?) badge/sleeve badge/ buckle of some sort. Any ideas?

Nice Finds :speechless1::jumping:

Its for sure Irish Military related as the emblem is the standard sunburst insignia that's used on our cap-badge, the design dates back to the War of Independence period.

Off the top of my head it might have a connection to a military band.

Will do some checking.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Its for sure Irish Military related as the emblem is the standard sunburst insignia that's used on our cap-badge, the design dates back to the War of Independence period.

Hi Kev

I knew it was Irish... im sure i have seen one on here in the last year.

Any idea what the writing says? Or what the double F stands for?

Dan

Hi Kev

I knew it was Irish... im sure i have seen one on here in the last year.

Any idea what the writing says? Or what the double F stands for?

Dan

As an ex-Irish soldier with over 21 years service of course I know :lol:

The badge was designed in 1913 by Eoin MacNeill, a founding member and chairman of the Irish Volunteers. Variations existed for territorial commands, but, the majority of volunteers wore the "Óglaigh na hÉireann" badge. It was worn by Republicans in the 1916 Easter Rising.

It was rarely worn by the Irish Republican Army in the War of Independence as doing so could lead to a prison term. Eventually the Free State Army adopted the badge for their new uniforms before the Irish Civil War.

"...As a component of rank insignia and which is specified in the Third Schedule as the form of the cap badge, shall be comprised of a sunburst - An Gal Gréine, surmounted by an 8-pointed star, a point of the star being uppermost, bearing the letters "FF" (in Gaelic characters) encircled by a representation of an ancient warrior's sword belt on which the words "Óglaigh na hÉireann" are inscribed."

The Motto, Óglaigh na hÉireann translates to "Soldiers of Ireland."

"F.F." stands for Fianna Fail the first word is an ancient Gaelic term for an Army, the second word equates to Destiny.

Also with regards your item I found this online:-

post-950-081146500 1291406749_thumb.gif

described as An Irish Volunteer Belt but not specifically dated to a period.

Your welcome for the help Dan,

if its relates to the early days of the Irish Army, say immediate post 1920 War of Independence, Civil War, then it might be classed as a scarce object.

If it can be dated to use during the War of Independence then I would say it could be classed as rare, even missing the two lugs and leather belt.

We have an Irish section on here located at:-

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=119

and it might be worth posting a thread there, I am sure there are a couple of members with more knowledge than little old me out here in Transylvania.

Push comes to shove bung it on Evil Bay and ask 250+ U.K. quid :P

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

As a matter of interest could you also post a picture of the medal with the bridge on it?

Its NOT Irish related, :P but looks interesting.

Kev, just for you! ;)

Its a Japanese 2,600th Imperial Anniversary Medal from 1940

What this guys collecting aims were is anyones guess!! :speechless1::jumping:

Dan :beer:

post-1812-099606900 1291408681_thumb.jpg

post-1812-022621600 1291408733_thumb.jpg

Thanks Dan, a very nice looking medal, first one I have seen, was it issued to the entire serving Japanese military force in 1940, if so that must have put a hole in the War Budget :P

A big ribbon ring as well in comparison to the size of the medal.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

The medal was awarded to commemorate the 2600th anniversary of Emperor Jimmu establishing the Japanese Empire, a semi-mythological event said to have taken place in 660BC. This event was used in Japan as one basis for calculating dates instead of the BC/AD (or BCE/CE) system used in the West. The 2600th anniversary was in 1940 (2600-660=1940).

Im not sure what the awarding criteria was, but thre is a good chance it went out to the entire standing forces.... thats a fair old bit of bronze!

Heres a pic of what it should look like - the eight lines on the medal ribbon are an allusion to the eight corners of the world that were supposed to be united under the Emperor’s benevolent rule. The slogan was hak-ko-ichi-u, “eight corners of the world under one roof”.

post-1812-046806000 1291409664_thumb.jpg

36566 CPL J DONNELLY LEIC R

Not a casualty as far as i can see. Havent had chance to search for his MIC as yet

Have plenty of wwi ribbon so will switch that out later

Thanks

Dan

Entitled to a pair, doesn't seem to be any service or pension papers on Ancestry. Looing at 26 casualties in the block 36500-36599 lots of 9th Bn., but 6, 7, 8th as well.

Entitled to a pair, doesn't seem to be any service or pension papers on Ancestry. Looing at 26 casualties in the block 36500-36599 lots of 9th Bn., but 6, 7, 8th as well.

Cheers Mike

Whenever I get a lone WWI medal i always feel a little sad for its missing group. Ah well... :blush:

Edited by FrontlineAntiques