News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UNITED NATIONS MILITARIA.

Irish

Well I struggled to figure out where to start this as there are other UN threads scattered about. But I will consider these Modern Conflicts. I will be posting mainly insignia, Metal and cloth. .Of course I would like others to post there insignia also. So here goes. The first is Hungarian troops with the U.N, these pieces I feel are likely made in Hungary. This would be from UNPROFOR in Jugoslavia. The smaller round patch is most likely a beret badge. While I will try and describe these insignia the best I can , corrections and additions will always be welcomed. As there is an ongoing U.N. Police thread I would like to steer clear of that for our purposes.

post-10860-085011300 1291488845_thumb.jp

Edited by Irish

Next is Baltic Countries. It is my understanding that Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania all supplied troops to the U.N. during UNPROFOR. The first piece is Baltic Bn patch which is printed on a rubberized piece of cloth. The next is a Latvia Tab likely worn on the upper sleeve near the shoulder.

post-10860-054928100 1291489228_thumb.jp

Russian Contingent to UNPROFOR. The insignia implies this was an Airborne capable unit. There are 2 metal Russian pocket badges from this period that also display Airborne capabilities. I will post those later.

post-10860-064401000 1291489492_thumb.jp

Russian Contingent to UNPROFOR. The insignia implies this was an Airborne capable unit. There are 2 metal Russian pocket badges from this period that also display Airborne capabilities. I will post those later.

Here are 2 metal badges related to the U.N.Russian Contingents. 1st Russian Bn, stationed near Mostar and the 2d Russian Bn stationed near Sarajevo. These both have a post and screw type attachment on the reverse. Airborne capable.

post-10860-070164800 1291565989_thumb.jp

Edited by Irish

4 pocket badges from U.N. operations in the Mideast. At top left is U.N. Observer Group Golan Heights,Damscus. Top right U.N. Truce Supervision Organization / Observer Detachment Damascus. Bottom Left U.N Liaison Office Amman Jordan. Bottom Right U.N. Emergency Force/ U.N. Disengagement Observer Force Liaison Office in Jerusalem. All of these badge would likely been worn from a leather hanger French style from the pocket.

post-10860-032618700 1291571264_thumb.jp

post-950-035089900 1291573755_thumb.jpg

UNDOF SIGNALS Badge, Concave, 52 mm X 41mm

post-950-078477900 1291573785_thumb.jpg

UNDOF MEDICAL SERVICES Badge, Flat, 49mm x 40mm

Sorry about the quality, just found after being in storage since late 1980 :speechless1:

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

post-950-057249700 1291574130_thumb.jpg

FINCOY, UNDOF GOLAN BADGE,Flat, 59mm x 45mm

post-950-003989300 1291574252_thumb.jpg

CANLOG UNDOF GOLAN, GOLAN HEIGHTS EXPRESS, MOUNTAIN DRIVER, Flat, 60mm x 44mm.

Very poor condition, at some stage it had a resign type substance poured over it!!! :angry:

possibly a clear lacquer finish that deteriorated while in storage.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Here is a badge with some tongue in cheek humor about a not so humorous scenario. Hijack Club. In the background is a map of Lebanon with the dates of 77/78. The vehicle has U.N On the side and UNTSO plates. 'Truce Supervision Organization." Alongside the vehicle is the supposed hijacker, armed and with his head covered in wrap. It is a lucite covered badge which is made in Lebanon by Hamadeh. These Lucite or Plastic covered badges being attributed to Hamadeh are normally painted white on the reverse.

post-10860-076436500 1291818561_thumb.jp

Here is a fanion for the French 8th Para Marine Regiment, Service and Command Company (CCS). This would be U.N. Service in Lebanon late 1970's and early 80's. Likely a souvenier piece.

post-10860-048250700 1292011016_thumb.jp

Edited by Irish

Other side. Also badges for the 8th RPIMA. The first two would be from the 2nd/3rd Mandate. the third badge is from the 9th mandate in 1982. Last badge is for the Signals Unit of the the 8thRPIMA unsure of time period but my quess is late 1970's. This is a local Lebanese made piece as is the first badge.

post-10860-062448200 1292011123_thumb.jp

post-10860-045556600 1292011152_thumb.jp

Some patches with a Scandinavian connection: Starting with a patch worn by a Swede in the ONUC mission in Congo pre-1963 (the veteran I got it from were awarded the medal with the UNTSO-style ribbon with a "Congo" clasp, not the later green-white-blue ribbon). Then over to the ex-Yugoslavia missions of the 90's, the Nordbat 2 combination was worn by the Swedish contribution to UNPROFOR (it also included a Danish tank squadron), the UNPREDEP patch was issued to a Dane in the Scandinavian mission in Macedonia (which was actually considered the original Nordbat, hence Nordbat 2 in Bosnia). The Shirbrig patch has a Swedish connection because of the griffin (the regimental insignia of the South Scanian Regiment), and if Sweden didn't actually contribute with troops to Shirbrig, it could very well have been training in Southern Sweden. The bilingual UN patch is also Swedish in origin, but normally the patch with United Nations in English would be issued.

/Jonas

post-3707-035047600 1292068935_thumb.jpg

Some patches with a Scandinavian connection: Starting with a patch worn by a Swede in the ONUC mission in Congo pre-1963 (the veteran I got it from were awarded the medal with the UNTSO-style ribbon with a "Congo" clasp, not the later green-white-blue ribbon). Then over to the ex-Yugoslavia missions of the 90's, the Nordbat 2 combination was worn by the Swedish contribution to UNPROFOR (it also included a Danish tank squadron), the UNPREDEP patch was issued to a Dane in the Scandinavian mission in Macedonia (which was actually considered the original Nordbat, hence Nordbat 2 in Bosnia). The Shirbrig patch has a Swedish connection because of the griffin (the regimental insignia of the South Scanian Regiment), and if Sweden didn't actually contribute with troops to Shirbrig, it could very well have been training in Southern Sweden. The bilingual UN patch is also Swedish in origin, but normally the patch with United Nations in English would be issued.

/Jonas

post-3707-035047600 1292068935_thumb.jpg

Jonas, thank you for those patches with descriptions. I was unsure of the makeup of Nordbatt 2 your description helps. Best John

Jonas, thank you for those patches with descriptions. I was unsure of the makeup of Nordbatt 2 your description helps. Best John

Hello John!

The first rotation (BA01) had three Swedish mech inf companies as well as the Danish tank squadron, the fourth mech inf coy was introduced with the second rotation (BA02), there was also a HQ Coy. The Danish tank squadron seem to have disappeared with the changeover between BA04 and BA05. The battalion changed name (and master) during the fifth rotation to Swebat, when NATO took over (BA05-BA07 IFOR, BA07-BA99 SFOR).

/Jonas

They were in the winter of 92/93. We went out to RussBat HQ at the arport in Osijek. They were airborne and I still have the para patch somewhere.

post-99-000161500 1292265869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laurence Strong

In January 1993 the revitalized Croatian army attacked the Serbian positions around Maslenica in southern Croatia, and a company of Argentinians equipt with Marders came and stayed at Camp Polum with us as the CanBatt was deployed down by the Sava as a block to the croats incase they came into the PA. Not exactley "UN" however the result of a night in the mess tent. :cheers:

post-99-007407000 1292266449_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...