News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OGPW 2nd Lt. Col. E.V. Nemchenko

Okay, this lil' guy has definitely been there, done that! But even the underdogs need love and TLC. When originally obtained by the previous owner it was covered in dirt, gunk, a godawful deep red paste or enamel paint or ?? in a poor attempt to "repair" 2014.gif the missing/damaged enamel. The previous owner gave it such of that much needed TLC and cleaned it up and I think he did a fine job.

I plan to leave it as is with the exception of putting it's hammer and sickle back on but leaving it so it can easily be removed at some point, thereby doing no permanent harm for good or bad. I'll pop up more pics once I have it in hand. But for now, the pics:

Before:

post-873-013967800 1291739986_thumb.jpg

And after some much needed TLC:

post-873-048091600 1291740040_thumb.jpg

post-873-008569700 1291740047_thumb.jpg

I didn't even notice till now that this is a T2 Starback Reverse. jumping.gifjumping.gif My first! cool.gif I can't believe I was paying so much attention to the obverse that I didn't notice this before.laugh.gif

Is this a T2 V3 or a T2 V4? unsure.gif Although on Soviet Screwbacks.com I believe it would be a T2 V1.9.1 (No ray under swords handle). Is this correct? unsure.gif

Also can anyone tell the mint where it was produced? unsure.gif

Edited by Hauptman

post-873-051619000 1291740466_thumb.jpg

This is all the translation I have... but if anyone can add anything I'd be deeply grateful. beer.gif

Soviet Order of the Patriotic War 2 class № 382293 awarded to Lieutenant-Colonel Nemchenko E.V., Assistant Chief of Staff of the 273th Rifle Division, for participation in planning and coordination of a famous Breslau operation.

Lieutenant-colonel Nemchenko E.V joined Red Army in 1930, participated in the Soviet-Finnish war in 1939-1940, and in the Great Patriotic War from 22.06.1941 to 09.05.1945.

More pics once I have it in hand. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Darrell

Nice Dan, if only this one could talk. Based on the repairs it's been through a few "knock-Down-Drag-Out" fights in it's life. The serial number works in close to Breslau fighting. It falls in the February 1945 series that were issued with a close serial number to this one.

Nice Dan, if only this one could talk. Based on the repairs it's been through a few "knock-Down-Drag-Out" fights in it's life. The serial number works in close to Breslau fighting. It falls in the February 1945 series that were issued with a close serial number to this one.

Many thanks for the additional info my friend! cheers.gif But one thing... you forget... most Soviet SN'd awards "can talk" through research. jumping.gifjumping.gif

I'm also considering seeing if any bio (hopefully with pics) can be found as I'm hoping against hope since he was a Lt. Col. that there's a chance there are pictures to be had. I feel it always gives a much more personal side to things when we have the picture of the original recipient and it's something I always hope for.

Will keep everyone posted as this progresses.

Dan cheers.gif

Guest Darrell

Nemchenko saw fighting also.

Line 8 of citation. Heavily wounded 2.7.41. Heavily wounded in chest 27.8.41 and light wound in hand 5.6.42.

Wow .. looks like he was in the thick of it from the beginning :cheers:

Beautiful award, Dan! :cheers:

A little bit more translation - his other awards (I know, the easy part, but it's usually the best I can do)

Combat Merit Medal - 1,806,434

OGPW 2 - 382,293

Red Banner - 246,732

Red Star - 2,103,464

Victory Over Germany

Red Star - 2,103,464 (listed a second time)

Red Banner - 368,321 (probably long service)

I have no idea what the last entry is. 20th Anniversary of the Army and Navy maybe?

There are a lot of great stories here! If there is a professional translation or more research on the way, I would be excited to see it.

Cheers :cheers:

Alex

Many thanks for the extra info guys... I deeply appreciate! cheers.gif The more I learn the more excited I'm getting! jumping.gifjumping.gif Once I have the $$'s I'll definitely have to get this translated and put in for the bio if there is one. I'm praying there will be pics and especially that I may continue to be lucky and that he'll actually be wearing his awards in the pic including this one. That would be the absolute icing on the cake, to me at least as it's been a long standing dream of mine.

Here's hoping!

Stay tuned! This lil' fellow seems to keep coming up with more surprises. rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

Dan cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

This post has been a long time coming. About a week and a half ago I punched the citation into google translator, but never got around to posting the translation. So here it is, finally (sorry for the delay, Dan!):

"Working with 02.11.1945, the Assistant Chief of Staff of the Division 1 Division proved himself an energetic and courageous officer, on time and correctly decides arising from the situation.

During the fighting in Breslau, the storm was all the time with the division commander, informed in a timely manner in an environment of higher headquarters, requesting the necessary data on time of downline. Staffs thereby provide commanders in preparing all the necessary data for decision making.

obespechenie for excellent management of part of the division in combat situations for the collection of Mr. Breslau worthy of his awards of the Order of the Patriotic War of the second degree."

And here is the Russian:

Работая с 11.2.1945 года помощником начальника 1 отделения штаба дивизии показал себя энергичным и смелым офицером, своевременно и правильно принимает решения вытекающие из обстановки.

Во время боевых действий по штурму г. Бреслау находился все время вместе с командиром дивизии, своевременно информировал в обстановке вышестоящих штаб, запрашивая своевременно необходимые данные от нижестоящих. штабов этим самым обеспечивал командование в подготовке всех необходимых данных для принятия решения.

за отличное обеспечeние управлением частями дивизии в боевой обстановке по взятию г. Бреслау достоин правительственной награды ордена отечественной воины второй степени.

There are a couple of glaring errors in the last paragraph ("Mr. Breslau." And what does "obespechenie" mean?). But it certainly gets the idea across with more of the original style than a one sentence summary. Hurray for google! :jumping:

Cheers, :cheers:

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the lil' fellow has arrived. Here are the new scans. Let me know what ya'll think. beer.gif

With replacement H&S. Not permanent... can be removed in half a second if necessary.

post-873-005580800 1293506142_thumb.jpg

post-873-036556400 1293506172_thumb.jpg

His new digs... made from original case from Bulgaria with no permanent changes. Can easily and within seconds be taken back to it's original state.

post-873-024258700 1293506192_thumb.jpg

So no permanent changes and I personally think it looks TONS better with the H&S in place. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Mr. Breslau
    :lol:

г. (город) Бреслау - city of Breslau Coudn resist, just imagine in Soviet citation somebody called 'Mister' :D

obespechenie- supply

Edited by ph3s

• 2 months later...