News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

picture of RK with extra larged swords

airbrushed in?? What do you mean??

Its my picture of an original RK winner signed picture which i took in a museum in Berlin..

I found it stranged (therefore i took the pic) because the swords are extra large....compared to "normal" oaks en swords.

martin

Guest Rick Research

It was VERY common to "add" awards onto wartime photos when a brand new portrait photo was not available. If you look closely I am sure you will see that those are DRAWN in and not real.

I don't have any examples to show with awards, but here is a portrait of Generalmajor Christoph Stengel:

[attachmentid=22013]

He was promoted to Generalmajor 1 December 1943. This portrait was obviously taken when he was an Oberst. The photo has been retouched by making blurry "general" shoulder boards with an airbrush-- but the photographer cropped on collar tabs BACKWARDS!!!! :speechless::speechless1:

I am sure the new General sent the proofs RIGHT back to be done over again correctly!!! :cheeky:

airbrushed in?? What do you mean??.....martin

beertje...

The 'drawing in' of RK's onto an original of an RK winners photograph was an officially sanctioned practice undertaken by the propaganda ministry - here is another example of a quite genuine, wartime photo 'enahncement' on a quite genuine recipients photo... http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3535

These RK winners were not always readily available for 'press calls' immediately after the award of their RK's - given that they had a war to fight - so the only option left to the propaganda ministry who were desperate to spread the word to the public as quickly as possible that another soldier had won his countrys highest honour was to 'doctor' an existing press photo of that soldier (as per Ricks example..)

This has - as you will appreciate if you research this subject elsewhere - thrown up some 'interesting' variations of the Knights cross (and in your case, the swords..) - some of which are the result of superimposing a real RK onto an existing photo and 're-shooting' the photo - others nothing more than the product of an artists imagination...

This is nothing out of the ordinary...

Marshall

a better/bigger picture..Sorry guys for the huge size... :(

IPB Image

IMHO, i saw the picture at close range (behind glass) and i could not notice any signs of airbrushing...It was so detailed, so fine with texture, coulours and so one....No blurry pic at all...

greetings

martin