News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Leutnant Joseph Springer of 8./NJG 4 is credited with one night victory and one day victory.

According to the books I mentioned before, there were only 2 kills credited to NJG 4 on the night of 31st Aug/1st Sept 1943 and both were claimed by Major Wilhelm Herget of Stab I / NJG 4 for his 42nd & 43rd kills.

Edited by hucks216

Leutnant Joseph Springer of 8./NJG 4 is credited with one night victory and one day victory.

According to the books I mentioned before, there were only 2 kills credited to NJG 4 on the night of 31st Aug/1st Sept 1943 and both were claimed by Major Wilhelm Herget of Stab I / NJG 4 for his 42nd & 43rd kills.

Hmmm thanks for the additional info.

Possible this claim was later overturned or simply unconfirmed.

I've just realised that the colour profile is the actual aircraft your man flew in. That was flukey!

These are handy sites...

http://www.cieldegloire.com/njg_004.php

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Profiles/ETO_AXIS_Luftwaffe_NJG4.html

I've just realised that the colour profile is the actual aircraft your man flew in. That was flukey!

These are handy sites...

http://www.cieldegloire.com/njg_004.php

http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Profiles/ETO_AXIS_Luftwaffe_NJG4.html

Noticed that myself nice catch.

Yup I was already familiar with htose sites though haven't looked at them for some time.

Thanks again.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Kill # 6 - 4 May 1944 - Lancaster - 20km SW-SE Chalons-sur-Marne: Alt 100m - Time 0031 - possible 460 Sqdn Lancaster JB741 This was the Lancaster that my uncle was bomb aimer on. They were on their first op. The villagers saw them at low altitude, on fire and the fighter behind them still shooting. They crashed a few miles west of Dommartin-Lettree. Only the rear gunner was identified. They had a full load of bombs when they went in. The starboard wing separated and was found years later standing vertically between two trees. I didn't know the name of the crew before reading this thread. Any chance you have a picture of any of the fighter's crew?

There is a photo in the first post of this thread in the mans wehrpass.

There is a load of information on JB741's crash here....

http://www.aircrewremembrancesociety.com/raf1944/baker.html

Edited by hucks216

Kill # 6 - 4 May 1944 - Lancaster - 20km SW-SE Chalons-sur-Marne: Alt 100m - Time 0031 - possible 460 Sqdn Lancaster JB741 This was the Lancaster that my uncle was bomb aimer on. They were on their first op. The villagers saw them at low altitude, on fire and the fighter behind them still shooting. They crashed a few miles west of Dommartin-Lettree. Only the rear gunner was identified. They had a full load of bombs when they went in. The starboard wing separated and was found years later standing vertically between two trees. I didn't know the name of the crew before reading this thread. Any chance you have a picture of any of the fighter's crew?

JB741

Thanks for the response and sorry to hear about your uncle's demise at such an early age.

The only photo I have of the entire crew is attached. From left to right is Kurt Felke (BS), Richard Delakowitz (FF) and Hans Beckmann (BF).

Regards

Jeremy

Edited by spanferkel

So he got the EK2 and EK1 as a member of a flak unit. I am surprised that he did not get anything for seven arial victories, as a pilot.

Paul

As Hucks noted he was an air gunner on the crew and his EK1 was awarded while he was part of the Nachtjager aircrew after their 6th victory.

Cheers

Jeremy

I understand the pilot, Oblt. Delakowitz, is still alive and living in Brazil. Do you have any knowledge of that?

Interesting!!! I was unaware that he was I only recently obtained this information. Certainly would be most interesting to get in contact with him assuming he is still in good health.

Any info. you have regarding this would be most helpful.

Regards

Jeremy

Jeremy - Only a rumor about Delakowitz. I have been in contact with the niece of the pilot of JB741 who lives in England. She seemed to think he was in Brazil - why she thought that I'd have to ask her.

Gord