News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Beautiful badge Gordon,as you say they do not come much better.The finish on the globe is outstanding,and the "blackened" mainpin looks untouched.

Thank you for showing this example.

I wonder if this "blue box" award was a retail piece?

I say this because as far as i know all "officialy" awarded examples came in a light brown cardboard box,at least to the crewmembers of the ATLANTIS.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 2 months later...

Martin and Gordon:

I have had occasion to hold/review/inspect three original issue HSK award sets from ATLANTIS crewmen presented on the original issue day where Rogge presented and Mohr assisted. (As pictured in the Mohr 1944 book). All of those were the brown cardboard box and brown tissue-type paper wrapper.

I firmly believe the blue boxed badges (and other laminated or colored period boxes) were period "after-market" or period pieces produced for issue or presentation after January 1942 (more likely: Apr 1942).

I've promised Martin that I'll scan my brown cardboard box, wrapping tissue and HSK badge for his review. Hopefully as a significant trade piece... (The only badges that I won't part with are ones personally given to me from HSK crewmen) The boxed/tissue wrapped badge I have was one of my early, early purchases. I need to get off my butt and post the photos of the set to see if anyone with HSK documents/portraits is interested in trading.

Joe Slavick

Martin and Gordon:

I have had occasion to hold/review/inspect three original issue HSK award sets from ATLANTIS crewmen presented on the original issue day where Rogge presented and Mohr assisted. (As pictured in the Mohr 1944 book). All of those were the brown cardboard box and brown tissue-type paper wrapper.

I firmly believe the blue boxed badges (and other laminated or colored period boxes) were period "after-market" or period pieces produced for issue or presentation after January 1942 (more likely: Apr 1942).

I've promised Martin that I'll scan my brown cardboard box, wrapping tissue and HSK badge for his review. Hopefully as a significant trade piece... (The only badges that I won't part with are ones personally given to me from HSK crewmen) The boxed/tissue wrapped badge I have was one of my early, early purchases. I need to get off my butt and post the photos of the set to see if anyone with HSK documents/portraits is interested in trading.

Joe Slavick

Hi Joe,

This is very interesting and I look forward to your photos!

Two questions:

1) What was the date of the Rogge and Mohr presentation session?

2) What allows you to date the blue boxes to after Jan, 1942?

Best regards,

---Norm

Martin and Gordon:

I've promised Martin that I'll scan my brown cardboard box, wrapping tissue and HSK badge for his review. Hopefully as a significant trade piece. I need to get off my butt and post the photos of the set to see if anyone with HSK documents/portraits is interested in trading.

Joe Slavick

You know i am interested Joe. :whistle:

Norm,

i beleive that the award ceremony for the Atlantis crewmen was in December 1941.In the images below,from the Mohr book we can see that Mohr,who is standing behind Rogge carries a handful of the light brown cardboard boxes that contain the awards.

So,the possibility exists that the blue award boxes did come later?

Regards,Martin.

I'm not convinced that the colour of the box can be taken as an indicator of date. I've had a couple of mint examples of the first type Schwerin Destroyer Badge with the mis-struck swastika which were in their original tissue wrapping and blue boxes. Certainly that type of badge pre-dates 1942.

Both Schwerin and Juncker badges can be found in both blue and brown boxes and I strongly suspect that these were simple generic boxes which both firms probably bought from the same suppliers and the colour of box in which a badge is found is most likely just related to which batch the badge maker had bought from the box makers.

Don't doubt for a moment that the awards used during that ceremony for the Atlantis crew were brown but I tend to reckon that this was just because thats the way this particular badge came from Juncker. A different batch on another occasion may well have been in blue boxes.

Both Schwerin and Juncker badges can be found in both blue and brown boxes and I strongly suspect that these were simple generic boxes which both firms probably bought from the same suppliers and the colour of box in which a badge is found is most likely just related to which batch the maker had bought from the makers.

I am leaning towards this line of thinking myself now Gordon.

I now recall an award from a Widder crewman,it was a Juncker in a blue box.

From the award documents i have seen for the Widder and signed by Von Ruckteschell they are dated October 1941.

Regards,Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon:

You are correct...I am such a knucklehead....Talk about "not being able to see the forest because I was only staring at one tree!"

Of course, I didn't think of the wider perspective of all the other KM badges and KM manufacturers! Sometimes it is much better to open ones frame of reference and think about the bigger picture.

Thanks for the course correction!

Joe