News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal group sold bacjk to family

Hello, all - This should probably be a new "Topic" - but I will list it here. I just sold this incredible honor group to the late Zoltan David (died 1988 -Canada). to his Son and family. I would have liked to have just given them the group but my investment was just too much for that. They got it for what I had invested in it. His awards:

Order of Vite'z

Bar:

Large Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy) - 2,5000 awarded

Small Silver Bravery Medal (Horthy) - about 8,000 awarded

Fire Cross with swords 1942

Fire Cross without swords

Liberation of Upper Hungary Medal

Yugoslavia Campaign Medal

1939 Iron Cross 2nd Class 1957 version rare to Hungarian

German East front Medal

Canadian Royal Life Saving Society Silver Benefactor Medal (1981)

Canadian Royal Life Saving Society Bronze Benefactor Medal (1979)

Canadian Royal Life Saving Society Silver Jubilee Medal (1988)

Canadian Royal Life Saving Society Alberta Branch Diamond Jubilee Medal (1984)

The group included all bar listed medals except the Silver Benefactor medal, last 2 Canadian medals, and the Order of Vitez, but his original mini bar was part of the group. Also included were his award documents for the Canadian medals, and a slide copy of the photo. I really hate to give up this group - but it does really belong with the family for the Son and grandson (both named Zoltan David). The son told me the story of how his father earned the 1939 Iron Cross - fascinating. They did not have a copy of this photo either. Cheers Captain Albert

Iron Cross Story

Here is the story of the Iron Cross medal as told by my Father:

He was assigned as a recon detail to a German battalion in Hungary or Romania- can't remember exactly. The Germans had camped along the river[probably the Danube]. They had positioned themselves on a bend in the river with high ridges on three sides of them across the river. When my father saw this position he thought it was a poor chioce and not easily defense-able. When he went to speak to the German commander about this , an argument ensued with the commander's guards, and my father forced his way into see the commander and voice his concerns. The commander called him a stupid Hungarian, did he not think that the area had been fully reconned and concluded to be safe? My father was sent on his way with the common disdain that was afforded to those of a lesser stature. My father's intuition would not let this situation rest. It was a rain soaked day, my father decided to check out the high ridge on the other side of the river himself. He stripped down to his shorts, crossed the river and climbed up a steep and muddy ridge, when he got to the top, he saw nothing, no sign of the enemy, but as he was about to leave the area, he heard a woman's laugh form a little shed, he shuck over and peeked in , there was a Russian soldier and the woman having sex. Then he began a closer inspection of the area and discovered the Russians were dug in and camouflaged and waiting for the right time to attack. My father shuck away, went to the German Commandant, the Commandant's guards would not allow my father an audience for the second time, my father said to the guard, as the guard drew his weapon, "go ahead and shoot if you want, but I am going to talk with the Commandant", so in he went, talked with the German, told him what he had found. The Germans checked for themselves, discovered the truth of my Dad's story and 'bugged out' before they were attacked. My Father saved their asses, and for that the German Commandant recommended him for the Iron Cross. How cool was that!

Edited by army historian

Its commendable that you returned it for what you had originally paid for it. Well done.

Is there any more history behind this group - perhaps having been in touch with the recipients family you might be able to tell us more?

Jim :cheers:

This is an awesome grouping and a truly terrific thing you did in letting it go to the original family for what you paid. It's something they can truly be proud of and will, I trust, be passed down in their family now as a physical reminder of the deeds performed by this brave soldier.

I know how hard it must be to let go of such a group with the terrific history but you know what goes around comes around and I pray you'll receive blessings from on high and that more great groups will come your way.

A good deed indeed! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

I don't have much - as I did not want to start pumping the son for information. Here is his first email to me and my reply:

"Are you in possesion of my father's original medals? If you are I would like to have them back in our family, where they belong. Also there is a wonderful picture of my Dad with his medals and uniform, the one you have posted, I would like that image as well. My Dad told me he had hidden these medals in the attic of our home in Budapest, they were left behind when we escaped Hungary in 1956 as a result of the Hungarian Revolution. If you have a story to tell regarding these things, I would love to hear it. What do you require of me to make this happen? I love my Father very much , He has always been an inspiration to me, I am honored and blessed to have him as my Dad. He told me the story of what happened that led to him being given the Iron Cross. I would like to pass these medals and picture onto my son Zoltan David III, he is in the Navy."

My reply -

Happy new year to you Zoltan. I am really happy you want the group back in your family – that is really neat. I acquired what was called your father's miniature medal bar, along with the documents for his Canadian Life Saving medals, a small picture (also slide) and small write up a number of years ago. I do not have his "original" large medals ( just real replacements – which is ok as none of the medals were named or numbered). It is a great and very historic bravery medal group. I have managed to replace all his medals except the Vitez ($150-$250). Silver Canadian Benefactor Medal ($75.) and the other two Canadian medals (?). This has not been cheap. I will not try to rob you (but I need to go back through my records to see what I did spend). The WW2 German Iron Cross is a 1957 (de-Nazified) type but the East Front is a WW2 issue (should be replaced with post 1957 ($75.). I have included a couple of scans. I am willing to work with you on this and will get back to you on a price. Cheers Captain George Albert

I had contacted Zoltan David (son) a number of years ago - but at that time he did not seem interested, but did give me the date of his fathers birth. This is what I have. Cheers Captain Albert

Also thank you guy for the kind words - It is what should be done in these cases, and only that. But Thanks Again Captain Albert

Edited by army historian

Well it is a done deal - the family finally received the package. Here is His response "Hi George, Yes I recieved everything today. Our postman is not very efficient, I discovered the parcel in my mailbox today, there was no notification at any time, so you see why I was skittish about the U.S. mail. All is well and I thank you very much. My son and I are thrilled! All the Best" I know they will be taken care of now. As for the question on Royal Canadian Life Saving Society and medals try OMSA medals database, and Janice Vik [janicev@lifesaving.org] . They will sell the Bronze and Silver Benefactor medals $55.00 and $75.00 each these are really nice thick well made medals. Cheers Captain Albert