News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General d Artillery Alfred von Vollard-Bockelberg

Hello All,

I'm trying to research the awards and service history of General d Artillery Alfred von Vollard-Bockelberg.

At this point, I know he was awarded the PLM on Nov. 4th 1917 (rank of Major) and that he was also awarded the Hohenzollern with swords.

I think he was a staff officer under Hindenburg and later went on to being Gov. General in paris after the occupation in 1940.

That is about it....

Also.. thanks to Glenn... I found this pic posted on another site.

Edited by mravery

Mark,

Hauptmann Alfred von Vollard-Bockelberg as a General Staff Hauptmann on GFM. von Hindenburg's staff - little guy on the end! Note also General Ludendorff and Oberstleutnant Max Hoffmann.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Hey Dave and Glenn,

Thanks for the additional pics :cheers: ... and here is the bio from that link you provided:

VOLLARD-BOCKELBERG, Alfred von (Plm)

(1874 - 1945?)

General der Artillerie:

Born: 18. Jun. 1874 in Magdeburg.

Missing: 1945.

Promotions:

General der Artillerie: 1. Oct. 1933

Generalleutnant: 1. Apr. 1929

Generalmajor: 1. Nov. 1927

Oberst: 1. Feb.1923

Oberstleutnant: 1. Oct. 1920

Major:

Hauptmann:

Oberleutnant:

Sekonde-Leutnant: 17. Mar. 1894

Kadett:

Career:

Mob.Verw.aufgehoben: 31. Aug. 1940

Milit?rbefehlshaber Paris: Jun. 1940 - 1. Aug. 1940

Kommandierender General stellv.I.Armee-Korps: 5. Nov. 1939 - 14. May 1940

Oberbefehlshaber Grenzabschnitt Mitte: 26. Oct. 1939 -

Reactivated, assigned as Milit?rbefehlshaber Posen: 6. Sep. 1939 -

Retired (but retained on Rangliste des Heeres): 31. Dec. 1933

Chef H.W.A.: 1. Jun. 1929 - 31. Dec. 1933

Inspekteur Verk.Tr.: 1. Oct. 1926 -

Entered service as Leutnant, assigned to 2.Garde Feld-Artillerie-Regiment: 17. Mar. 1894 -

Kadett:

Decorations & Awards:

~ Orden Pour le m?rite: 4. Nov. 1917 as Major

1914 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse

1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse

Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer

Wehrmacht-Dienstauszichnungen

Adds a few more decorations to the list... but what happened to him after August 1940 ?

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mravery

Mark,

Sekondelieutenant: 17.3.94

Oberleutnant: 29.5.03 E

Hauptmann: 24.3.09 V9v

Major: 28.11.14 E6e

Following his course at the war academy he served for three and a half years as the Regimental Adjutant of 4. Garde-Feldartillerie-Regiment after which he was attached on the 1st of April 1907 to the General Staff. In 1914 he was serving as the battery commander of 4./2. Pommersches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 17. His mobilisation appointment was as a general staff officer in the headquarters of 8th Army. When GFM. von Hindenburg became Oberbefehlshaber Ost, von Vollard-Bockelburg moved with him to form part of the new staff. On the 31st of August 1916 he became a department head on the staff of the Chief of Staff of the Field Army (Hindenburg) where he was involved in organisational and replacement matters. He won his OPLM as a staff officer in the O.H.L. on the 4th of November 1917.

As your summary of his career shows, his mobilisation appointment was terminated on the 31st of August 1940 when he went back into retirement.

Regards

Glenn

Hey Brian,

I thought I had found something on the web the other night about another Vollard-Bockelberg around that time period.... but I can't find it today :speechless:

I did find.. perhaps a brother :

Von Vollard-Bockelberg, Fritz Wilhelm

+ 03.01.1905 at Gross-Nabas

---

Fritz Wilhelm von Vollard-Bockelberg was born on 26.11.1876. He was a Schutztruppe officer. He died in the Battle of Gross-Nabas against the Witbooi Nama on 03.01.1905.

Cheers

Mark

Brian,

two von Vollard-Bockelbergs, both in the rank of Secondelieutenant are listed in the 1870/71 Prussian Armv List:

Secondelieutenant von Vollard-Bockelberg in 2. Magdeburgisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 27

Secondelieutenant von Vollard-Bockelberg in the Posensches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 10

Both were holders of the E.K. 2

Regards

Glenn

Was his father a Franco Prussian vet per chance?

If his father was also Alfred Emil Friedrich von Vollard-Bockelberg, it is likely. This Alfred Emil Friedrich von Vollard-Bockelberg was born in 1849.

There was also a Friedrich (Fritz) von Vollard-Bockelberg, born in 1851 in Sch?now. He was a Sekonde-Lieutnant in Infanterie-Regiment Prinz Louis Ferdinand von Preussen (2. Magdebugisches) Nr.27. Wounded at Mouzon on 30 August 1870. Won the 1870 Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Cross-posting!! :P

Fritz, from IR 27, is your former.

Alfred Emil Friedrich could be the other. Being a cavalry officer, he might be the one who compiled Karl von Schmidt's book on cavalry, Instruktionen betreffend Erziehung, Ausbildung, Verwendung und F?hrung der Reiterei, after von Schmidt's death in 1875

The adjutant of the Posensches Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 10 in 1870/71 was the later Generalleutnant z.D. Egon von Vollard-Bockelberg (2.12.49-6.7.18). This officer rose to command the Zieten Hussars Regiment and the 5th Cavalry Brigade.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Mark,

just some additions; his more or less complete list of Decorations:

plm, HOH3X, DA, Cent, BMV3X, SA3aXKr, WK3X, BZ3aX, HT, MMV2, BrK2, OK1, GSF3aX, EH3aX, SMK, REKj3XKr, L?H, ?L3X, ?EK3X, ?M3K, TJ2X, TM3X, TH, BMO3

Best regards

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

HOLY CRAP :jumping:

I guess it does pay to be a staff officer... you get ALL the bright and shiney things !

Cheers

Mark