News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Filling a gap....

Ahhh... Buuuuuuuuut, was the I.R. 146 still part of the 37. I.D. in May 1918... or had they left the division some time before?

Chris, I deleted the previous post and am correcting the information since I was looking at a different regiment when I posted that.

The 146th was part of the 20th AK, and in the 101st Division, neither US, nor Airborne... ;-) .

I'lll quote from the "Histories of the 251 Divisions of the German Army":

1918 "The Division is considered as consisting of a divisional staff only, administering Bulgarian units. The division is therefore, no longer counted as a German infantry division. ..."

While the 101st was with the Bulgars in Macedonia, the 146th was transfered to the "Asienkorps" for other duties.

Les

Guest Rick Research

Oooooooo. Ahhhhhhh.

My late guru George Seymour had the medal bar of the regimental commander, Frithjof Freiherr von Hammerstein-Gesmold, who got the Pour le Merite per 1 November 1918. One of the few times I was able to ID something that had stumped George! That bar has presumably passed through the (shudder) hands of Thies-- the bar had a HHOX, peacetime BZ3bmE, Hamburg and L?beck Hanseatics, and ended with the Bulgarian Bravery IVB and a Siamese White Elephant-Knight if it (too) lost all research attribution in the selling. Sigh.

There is CONSIDERABLE information on this regiment's service in Palestine during 1918 in my Bund der Asienk?mpfer magazines 1919-38.

I'll go see what turns up on Lt dR Michael-- unless there is MORE you have?

They were in Jordan along the Dead Sea until the September collapse, making forced march to Deraa on 26th of that month. Interned at Moda November-December 1918.

68 officers, 3 Beamten, and 1,024 men of the regiment were transported home aboard the "Etha Rickmers."

I couldn't find Michael named. He was not a BdAK member in 1931.

Major Fuchs had previously been in Inf Rgt 87, but served (unusually) in Inf Rgt 146 from before to obviously throughout the war--

SekLt 27.1.95 S2s

Oberlt 15.9.04 U2u

Hauptmann 13.9.11 P5p

Major 18.12.17 C

and aD in that rank

• 1 year later...

Hi Rick,

It seems he commanded the 1st company at the beginning of the campaign, the award was made just after their (1st batln) big action.... but he just dissapears from the regt history, not mentioned why or when.

If there is any info i would be very greatfull.

thanks

Chris

• 4 months later...

I couldn't find Michael named. He was not a BdAK member in 1931.

Any chance he was KIA?

I dont see that in the regt history.

Or badly wounded?

In anycase, at some stgae he was replaced as Company commander. It cannot have been a disciplinery thing as he was awarded the EK1 at about the same time.

Best

Chris