News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Showa Enthronement Medal

Dieter3

Sure, awfully common, but what the heck, decided to show it anyway. The medal itself is really nice, not perfect. The case though is really, really nice. There a little white speck, lower right, that's about it! It's in really good shape, better than I was expecting. Plus, I hadn't acquired one in a purple case until now!

Sure, awfully common, but what the heck, decided to show it anyway. The medal itself is really nice, not perfect. The case though is really, really nice. There a little white speck, lower right, that's about it! It's in really good shape, better than I was expecting. Plus, I hadn't acquired one in a purple case until now!

I love the ribbon on this medal and the the detail on the temple.

Thanks for posting this!

Love the golden chrysanthemum in the design of the temple.

Once again, the Japanese sense of understated elegance shines through in the design of their ODM.

Nice one Dieter! Love that case too. :cheers:

Is there a maker's/mint mark on the top?

Tim

Nothing on the knob - just the "S" on the ring.

Common it may be but an elegant design, as already stated.

This is the first purple case I've seen.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian

The purple case is fairly common too, but the really cool ones are the hybrid black/purple cases!

• 2 months later...

Here's anew arrival, courtesy of Imperial Japan Medals. :beer: A spot of soil on the back of the ribbon, but otherwise excellent and gorgeous. The case is nice, some interior foxing but solid. This one has the "M" hallmark from the Osaka mint. These seem to be a lot less common than most other hallmarks. Wrapping paper included, an extra bonus!

Yes, that was a nice one. The date and maker on the wrap is really satisfying, isn't it? By looking at the wraps and matching the hallmarks, we know that M is the Japan Mint, N is the Nippon Medal Maker Corp., and Y is Yamasaki Shoten. Haven't got the S figured out yet.

Interesting that some medals were manufactured in 1928, some in 1929, and yours was made in 1930. The N company was created especially for the 1928 medal and the owners/top people were directly involved in the 1928 selling of medals scandal.

And doesn't 1930 sound like a late date for this medal? They were usually awarded at celebratory dinners held in 1928-9 for the new emperor, but March 1930 is about 16 months after the event. Guess there was a huge demand for these medals.

Beautiful Dieter, thanks for posting this :beer:

Both the medal and the case are in pristine condition.

It still amazes me why more people don't collect these - myself included!

Yes, that was a nice one. The date and maker on the wrap is really satisfying, isn't it? By looking at the wraps and matching the hallmarks, we know that M is the Japan Mint, N is the Nippon Medal Maker Corp., and Y is Yamasaki Shoten. Haven't got the S figured out yet.

Interesting that some medals were manufactured in 1928, some in 1929, and yours was made in 1930. The N company was created especially for the 1928 medal and the owners/top people were directly involved in the 1928 selling of medals scandal.

And doesn't 1930 sound like a late date for this medal? They were usually awarded at celebratory dinners held in 1928-9 for the new emperor, but March 1930 is about 16 months after the event. Guess there was a huge demand for these medals.

Yes, the wrapper is indeed a huge bonus in my opinion! It really is nice to be able to tie things together the way these do. I found it interesting as well to see the month scripted on the paper with the old style kanji for "3".

I do have a single specimen with the "Y" hallmark, and it came in one of those half black/half purple cases. I wonder if this is simply coincidental or unique to the "Y" marked ones? I haven't paid close enough attention, plus most auctions the sellers do not mention the marks at all. Trying to figure out why exactly there are black cases, purple cases, and hybrids. And now I know what the "Y" stands for!! I'll need to hunt one down with the wrapper

The "S" though.....the majority seem to be this variety. Do the wrappers not indicate the maker on these??

It still amazes me why more people don't collect these - myself included!

Especially for these low prices!! These things really aren't pricey at all and fine examples are out there! So get to it!! :lol:

• 1 year later...

This a one of the best looking Japanese medals.

I have a Y maker marked example but that came in a very dark brown/black case. With the trade in medals, i wouldnt be surprised if medals & cases got swapped. I do believe that the purple cases are scarcer than most people think, although Peterson stated that they were the main colour for the case. ImperialJapan's website has a great page on the showa medal, showing many case colour variations and all the maker marks. I an on the looked for the hybrid purple/black case myself

Martin

Hi Martin,

It sure is interesting that the cases come in this variety of color combos! I don't quite understand it. I don't know if the colors are a chronolgy thing, or simply different makers and this is how the makers were distinguished? I would agree with you - I believe the black cases are most common and the solid purples are much less common. But the hybrid might be the rarest? I have one example of a hybrid case, and this is a "Y" marked medal. I do think different colors of case can be found for each of the actual medal makers though.

Hi Dieter3

Many thanks for the picture of the hybrid case. I saw one on ebay recently where the seller had pictures of the case open (like your picture 2) and a straight lid on shot of the black lid in another picture. When i asked what colour the case was, he just said black!

Had i have known it was a hybrid, i would have pounced on it. I dont doubt that coloured boxes could come from different makers, but i do believe i have seen more than 4 colours, though perhaps they were just different shades.

Martin

Hi Martin,

I think the black cases can definitely have the appearance of different shades to the black, like some do appear to have a brownish d even purplish tint to them.

Something I wonder about more though is the woman's version - I've only ever seen black-toned cases. I do wonder if these ever appeared in the other colors? I've also never been fortunate enough to see one with its wrapping paper, though the surely must exist. Of the ones I've seen, only eBay sellers tend to show photos of the hallmarks, and I've only noted the "S" and "Y" on female awards. It would certainly make sense that they came from all makers, but I just don't know.

A woman's award from the Japan Mint with the proper wrapper in a hybrid color case - perhaps the ultimate rarity among the Showa Enthronement Commemorative medals!!!???

hi all nice to see some of the more common medals posted this is mine purple box n mint mark good thing about japanese medals there is always the chance of finding additional items like a unmounted ribbon bar and a sash worn by an official at one of the celebrations held around japan