News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Helping non modellers....

Chris Boonzaier

Well, I cant make a model, if I do there is so much glue smeared on it its no longer possible to paint.

Do you modelling guys ever built for the ham fisted non modellers?

I have seen some wonderful pieces and wonder if you guys have space for it all or if at some stage you think "Hmmm, wish someone would buy that off me... them I would have space for more ...."

I know what you mean, Chris.

In my youth I used to make quite passable models and enjoyed detailing and modifying them. I have solved the space problem in my old age by keeping the kits I have bought in recent years in their boxes.

One day ..... I'll have enough time to build some of them.

I know what you mean, Chris.

In my youth I used to make quite passable models and enjoyed detailing and modifying them. I have solved the space problem in my old age by keeping the kits I have bought in recent years in their boxes.

One day ..... I'll have enough time to build some of them.

:lol: My wife thinks I just bought the models for the box art. :rolleyes:

Chris, remember what you're good at? How did you get that way? Same holds for modelling...just practice. ;)

To answer your question there are folks who try to make modelling for others into a cottage industry but it's tough to get that value of one's time out of the project.

Edited by Bob Hunter

I saw a superb WW1 machine gunner many months ago... that was a real sexy piece.... Wish I could make something like that ...

Chris,

Take a look at http://www.jonsmith-modellbau.com/ where you might find the figure saw.

I've got two of his kits stashed away for when I try my hand at modelling again some time in the distant future.

David

Well, I cant make a model, if I do there is so much glue smeared on it its no longer possible to paint.

I have seen some wonderful pieces and wonder if you guys have space for it all or if at some stage you think "Hmmm, wish someone would buy that off me... them I would have space for more ...."

I build on contract for others as well as for myself. My field is WWI avaition but just last year I finished an LST for a fellow...his dad's ship. Have done some other era machines and figures on contract too.

Edited by StephenLawson

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I did not do this one... I want to find someone who can do one like it for me ;-)

Hi Chris,

Yes, I know. I've read and understood the entire thread :D

StephenLawson seems to be the right guy for that, he is a real pro.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Btw, about this: "Well, I cant make a model, if I do there is so much glue smeared on it its no longer possible to paint."

In your next attempt DON'T use "solid" glue, but liquid glue instead, that you can apply with a brush that comes with the glue.

Obviously for different types of materials there are different types of glue.

Anyway, for a plastic model kit (as well as for models made of other materials), even if there is a bit too much glue when assembling it, this is not a big problem, as after the glue is dry, one can (in fact must as this is mandatory) polish with sand-paper.

For these Verlinden figures, which are made of resin, the best glue is any "cyanoacrilat" glue (always liquid I believe), that exist in tubes that you have to press (not recommended in your case) or in small recipients with a brush (recommended).

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

I average about 3 builds a year that people commission me to build.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words Dolf

I didn't intend to give you free advertising... :lol:

But, more seriously, I've seen part of your work, so I know you'd be the right man for the job here.

I notice Chris didn't ask you a word yet, despite the fact you already told him a few times that you builds on contract for others... :P

Maybe you should let him know how much you charge for that particular WWI machine gunner, it might be a pleasant surprise after all, and it might also interest other non modellers here ;)

Dolf

I didn't intend to give you free advertising... :lol:

But, more seriously, I've seen part of your work, so I know you'd be the right man for the job here.

I notice Chris didn't ask you a word yet, despite the fact you already told him a few times that you builds on contract for others... :P

Maybe you should let him know how much you charge for that particular WWI machine gunner, it might be a pleasant surprise after all, and it might also interest other non modellers here ;)

Dolf

Hi

Sorry, I am up to my neck in work and have the hobby on a backburner, Will get to this SOON !!

Thanks

Chris :-)

Hi Sorry, I am up to my neck in work and have the hobby on a backburner, Will get to this SOON !!

Thanks Chris :-)

No worries Chris I'm on vacation. Forgive the enthusiasm but I am loving every minute of this one.

Edited by StephenLawson

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I did not do this one... I want to find someone who can do one like it for me ;-)

Hi Chris, I know this thread is old but there are a large number of painters out there who would happily paint one up for you if it's a kit. Depending on who it is, cost can range from $100 to a few thousand. I also know quite a few who will build one from scratch to your specifications.