News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italy - Order of the Crown with award document

Document is dated October 12, 1939. It measures 15" x 11".

If anyone can tell me more about this, the doc, etc., it would be deeply appreciated. beer.gif

Also, how hard would it be to find a case for this Order and roughly what would one go for? unsure.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Edited by Hauptmann

Received the set yesterday and I'm extremely impressed... especially by the condition of the Order as it appears to me to be in just about mint condition. I'm sorry to say that at some point in it's past someone attached the award to the bottom portion of the doc as you see in the original pics I posted, both by using what I can only describe as looking like one of those big metal staples except instead of brass they're a dark metal. This left two small holes in the doc. Also they used a tiny bit of glue which also did it's work. banger.gifbanger.gif

Other than that the doc is in great shape. Although it was also glued to a piece of card stock, apparently at the same time as they mounted the award.

Anyhow here are some scans I made last night but haven't had a chance to post till now.

Also, the base metal on the award looks to me to be gold... does this sound right? And lastly, there is a small "makers" (?) mark between the arms of the cross, much like that which was used on Prussian Red Eagle Orders, etc. It appears to be the letter B. Again hoping one of you may be able to pass on more info regarding the mark.

Edited by Hauptmann

Note: the discoloration and holes here are where the Order was mounted through the doc/cardstock backing and where the small amount of glue attached the ribbon. banger.gif )

Edited by Hauptmann

Beautiful !!

Order and the document are in perfect conditions. Congratulations.

These were given to a Swiss citizen awarded with a Cavaliere degree (lowest degree of this order).

Degrees were as follow:

Cavaliere

Cavaliere Ufficiale

Commendatore

Grand'Ufficiale

Gran Croce

In this case, the medal was inserted in the medal bar on the chest

Regards

Daniele

Dan, a couple of pages from a small book on European Orders. Gives some history on your award. I don't think there is any doubt that it is gold - for the wire and also for the centre plate that the enamel is poured into. Probably 14 ct. and with gold the price it is - you have done very well. I will also post the second page.

Beautiful !!

Order and the document are in perfect conditions. Congratulations.

These were given to a Swiss citizen awarded with a Cavaliere degree (lowest degree of this order).

Regards

Daniele

Many thanks Daniele! beer.gif Once you said it was to a Swiss citizen I looked at it and as shown in post 7 in closeup I can now see that's what it says. I don't speak Italian but now realize that's what it said. Deeply appreciate the help on this.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Out of curiosity, is there any way to research this for more info? I believe they were still making awards to catch up long after the war, if they're not still at it... I believe the only nation to do this, at least in any quantity. So no idea if they perhaps have kept any records as to what was awarded to who for what.

Also, any ideas on the signatures/titles, etc., of the others who signed the document? When I checked around on the web I saw a few examples where they were signed by Mussolini (although assuming it was using something like autopen or something similar and not original signatures... although, again I full well admit my knowledge on these has a long way to go. I know Mussolini did sign a ton of documents, etc., so guessing it's possible they were original signatures.

I'm eager to learn as much as I can on these, and this award in particular as it is currently my only example. Plus I love to get back as much history to these awards as possible.

Dan cheers.gif

Dan,

Nice order and matching document. This has always been one of my favourites for design, quality of the enamel etc.

Regards,

Gordon

Many thanks Gordon! jumping.gifbeer.gif I agree... it's a beautiful Order and I'd always regretted having to let the ones I had go years ago especially as most were cased. But I got a great trade on them, and one of the items I got was my 1870 2nd class EK so I'm very happy with what I received in exchange, that most of all. jumping.gifjumping.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Nice find indeed.... I like all the titles at the top of the doc... I wonder if it is possible to research the guy in switzerland?

Thanks Chris! jumping.gifbeer.gif Re: the research that's what I'm wondering as well. Sure would be nice to put the history back with this one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan cheers.gif