News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SA Sportsbadges Bronze through Gold

Hello Darrell and John,

I've always liked the design of these badges. How difficult is it to obtain a gold version these days?? And, are these reproduced in any great numbers??

Maybe you guys could give us a mini lesson in what to look for in terms of markings??

Thanks.

Hopefully Darrell will have a little more knowledge than me..

I do know that they come in 1st & 2nd patterns, that there are various makers, Lauer, Redo, B&NL to name a few..

Mine are a mixture of both 1st & 2nd pat's, I suppose I should really get hold of one of each pattern to make the set complete..

Hopefully Darrell will have a little more knowledge than me..

I do know that they come in 1st & 2nd patterns, that there are various makers, Lauer, Redo, B&NL to name a few..

Mine are a mixture of both 1st & 2nd pat's, I suppose I should really get hold of one of each pattern to make the set complete..

There are 3 patterns John!

Type 1. has the inscription "Eigentum des Chefs des Ausdildungswesens"

(Property of the Head of Physical Conditioning) and dates from 1934-35

Type 2. Has the inscription "Eigentum der SA-Sportabzeichen-Hauptstelle"

(Property of the SA Sport Badge Head Department) and dates from 1935-1939

Type 3. Has the inscription "Eigentum der Obersten SA-Fuhrung"

(Property of the SA Supreme Command) and dates from 1939 -1944

Dave

Edited by Dave B

Thanks Dave.

Another stupid question. Is the difference in the various patterns the inscription only?? Are the obverses all identical??

Oh, and are these still reasonably priced??

Jim

Edited by Panzerman

Guest Darrell

Hey John .. did you show a closeup of your silver or Gold?

BTW .. my Bronze and Silver are 2nd Type .. the Gold is 3rd Type (and not maker marked - as normal for these made after 1939)

Edited by Darrell

Thanks Dave.

Another stupid question.  Is the difference in the various patterns the inscription only??  Are the obverses all identical??

Oh, and are these still reasonably priced??

Jim

Yeah the obverse is always the same on all 3 patterns and yes I think they are still reasonably priced,the gold can fetch a bit though.I personally like them with the award/issue number.

Dave

Guest Darrell

Ahh very nice ...

I should retake my pictures with a Camera ... the scanner doesnt do them justice ... the gold is brilliant with toned down lighting ...

I only have this one which I think is silver.

It is a family piece and I always thought it was my father-in-law's but he's not wearing it in the only photo that exists of him in uniform.

Could they have been awarded to anyone or only those that had something to do with the SA?

Tony

Guest Darrell

Hi Tony,

IMO this one is a bronze. Usually given away by the color of the pin.

If you look at my bronze, you can see the same color pin. Interesting that the same nick in the bottom part of the pin exists on most of these makers SA Bronze badges :food-smiley-004: