News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Hi Nick! Thanks for all your recent posts. I believe these were Dortheum auction, right? I am the lucky owner of post #653 and post # 654. Post # 652 is a Bertrand made breast star and shows up occasionally at double the auction purchased price on Ebay.

Post #651was sold at auction and then re-appeared on Emedals site for double the auction price.That Dorotheum auction was such a nice auction of a collectors entire collection of Persia Lion and Sun medals. It is rare to have so many great Lion and Sun pieces show up at one time. One thing I have definitely learned is that it is cheaper to buy at auction rather than from a dealer who re-sells the auction items. Hope all is well in Moscow! :cheers:

I am very happy to have confirmed the maker of one type of Lion and Sun that has been puzzling for a while. Remember this fat cat Lion and Sun that is very distinctive, that was posted by me earlier in this thread? It is a early Bertrand Lion and Sun. I confirmed this finding a marked set in an auction with the identical style lion and Sun. The later types of Bertrand are also unique in terms of Lion and Sun paintings. This is the early Bertrand Lion and sun painting.

This is the later type Bertrand Lion and Sun and can be seen in enamel painted style and glass with gold foil type paintings. The second image is Gavin's beautiful Bertrand enamel painted lion and sun.

The gold foil type seems to be the most frequently seen and Gavin's style Lion and Sun i have seen only one time.

Edited by Markus

Hey Markus,

Congratulations on discovering the maker of that "Big Head" lion. It is a charming piece and, for my money, far more characterful than the run-of-the-mill Bertrand like mine.

One of the joys of our hobby is solving little mysteries like these. Well done!

I believe these were Dortheum auction, right?

Yep ;)

I am the lucky owner of post #653 and post # 654.

I thought they look pretty familiar :)

One thing I have definitely learned is that it is cheaper to buy at auction rather than from a dealer who re-sells the auction items.

You see not all auctions are easily accessible... Especially Asiatic ones ;)

Hope all is well in Moscow! :cheers:

It has been raining cats and dogs for three weeks in a row ...

Boat wanted! :whistle:

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. Interesting discovery about large-headed lion :cheers:

• 1 month later...

This is a beautiful Bertrand made Grand Cross Lion and Sun set in original case that has an early hand painted "Fat Cat Lion" medallion. Galerie Numastique was the auctioneer. The set has a 1st class Breast star and a 3rd class sash badge. The later made Bertrands Lion and Sun medals look quite different.

Edited by Markus

A 1st class Russian made Lion and Sun Breast star of military class, recently up for auction at La Galerie Numismatique auction. The medal was made by Dmitri Ivanovich of ST. Petersburg Russia before 1899. An interesting piece that has red rays and a red sash badge that seems to frequently occur with Russian made Lion and Sun orders.

Edited by Markus