News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Although this is technically an order of Nishan-i-Agdas, I am posting it here in the Lion and Sun section, since the medallion art relates. Recently up for sale in the French Auction house Beaussant Lefévre. A very Early Kretly made piece.

A French made 2nd class breast star with stars affixed between the rays. Generally a style used before 1872. The painting looks very much like an earlier Halley made breast star posted.

Edited by Markus

A Halley made 3rd class Lion and Sun military division. A very early made piece with incredible medallion painting. Recently up for auction at Galerie Numismatique.

Edited by Markus

Thanks for posting these Markus. I never get bored looking at the workmanship and beauty of this Order.

Any theories as to which French jeweller might have produced #668? The enamel painting of the lion is superb!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a 2nd class breast star with stars between the rays, most likely pre-1872 era. Very high quality and appears to be by Saniolmamalek Persian maker based on other samples I have seen with this style of enamel painting.

Here is a collage I put together of the many Lion and Sun medallions by different makers showing the extreme variation and artistic beauty of this order.

Edited by Markus

This is an amazingly informative and beautiful thread... real scholarship and wonderful images!

Congratulations to all involved.

I really must do something with the neglected Persia/Iran section of my site, but right now I am too overawed!

• 2 weeks later...
    Was admiring that collage again but noticed ... No Homer! Is he on the B-sides? :lol:
    Hey Gavin! Too many great Lions and Suns examples to choose from and not enough space! Lol! Wishing everyone on GMIC a very Merry Xmas and happy holidays! I have met some really great people here on GMIC and made some really great friends! Markus

A Kretly made 4th class Lion & Sun badge. Very nice workmanship and the first time I have seen this lion painting style. An early type, probably late 1800's with re-pierced medal work. So far most of the plaques seem to have this 46 Galerie Montpensier, Palais Royal address. There was a later address for this firm at 5 Avenue de L'Opera, but I have never seen a Kretly maker plaque with this address.

A 2nd Class Kretly made breast star of early vintage, made in the last half of the 1800's. There is some debate among collectors about this style of breast star with stars fixed beween the rays, some sources saying that it is a pre-1872 style and other sources indicating that they have seen this style with award documents to prove that this style was issued after that 1872 time period. Incredible workmanship!

Edited by Markus

Merry Christmas to everyone on GMIC!

The Kretly lions have superb craftsmanship. Thanks for the explanation of the stars fixed between rays variation. It's something that has perplexed me and I'd associated that with earlier insignia.

I might have missed it on one of the previous 34 pages (!) but has anyone seen the original statutes / design drawings?