News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia - Order of the Lion and the Sun

Ahmad Shah was the last Qajar ruler with whom the Qajar reign came to its end. Born one year after the assassination of Nasseraddin Shah, Ahmad Mirza was elected by Tehran conquerors as the shah of Iran and due to his young age, they chose a regent for him.

Ahmad Mirza's fate to become the shah of Iran forced him to stay in Iran and part with his parents who were to leave Iran. Seven years later, he was crowned; but his coronation coincided with the beginning of First World War and some parts of Iran were invaded and occupied by Russian, British and Ottoman forces.

The end of war did not give the promise of better days for Iran and Middle East. Keeping dominance in India, greed for domestic markets, seizing oil resources of the Middle East and fighting with the danger of bolshevism were the main pivot of imperialistic policies in the region.

As Lord Curzon wished the conclusion of 1919 treaty would turn Iran to one of colonial countries of Britain. But Ahmad Shah did not sign it and the treaty was cancelled. So the British decided to work out another plan. Some people including Lloyd George, then the prime minister and Winston Churchill pondered over the idea of creating a dictatorial government supported by Intelligence service. Reza khan's coup of 1921 was the outcome of the new policy.

Ahmad Shah died in France, 1928, never recognizing the Pahlavi regime. His corpse was buried in Karbala as he wished.

A Lion and sun breast star 2nd class with stars between rays. Appears to be European made, possibly Wolfers. The type of medal would place it in the 1856-1872 era. This one also was with the original order Firman document.

http://www.turkish-militaria.com/TR/ThemenTR/Urkunden/image035.htm

Edited by Markus

This is a Godet Lion and Sun medal. The Godet Lion and Sun is very distinctive as seen in other Lion and Sun medals from this maker. The sun has a coppery glaze and the blue part of the enamel has some iridescence. I'm thinking that this was part of a 2nd class set and perhaps the sash badge that clipped directly to the sash, since there are seven green rays, same as a second class badge. The second possibility is that the medal is missing some components.

Godet is a very old company founded in 1761 by Jean Godet and was one of the finest order makers in Germany. In addition to making virtually all the medals of every German court, they made many international medals.

Edited by Markus

Hi Nick,

I believe post #237 portrait is from late Qajar period 1875-1910 era. The two medals look like Order of Arts and Science medals like the one I am posting here.

Hello Markus,

Thanks for posting the wonderful pictures.

Prince Firuz was born in 1889, so this picture dates from a lot later than 1875. He received the GCMG in 1919 but is not wearing that decoration, so probably dates from before that date.

His principal positions held were Governor of Kerman 1907, Under-Sec for Justice 1915-1916, Minister for Justice 1916-1917, 1918-1919 and 1925, Governor of Hamadan and Kermanshah 1918, Minister for Foreign Affairs 1919-1921, Governor-General of Fars 1923-1924, Minister for Finance 1927-1929, imprisoned by Reza Shah Pahlavi 1921 and 1929-1930, Deputy for Kermanshah in the 4th, 5th and 6th Majlis.

The uniform he is wearing is not a military uniform. It is a civil court uniform from about 1910-1925. Whether it is the first or second class civil uniform, I cannot quite tell. As far as I know, he held no military rank. Most probably, his Arts & Sciences decoration was received because of his educational achievements. He had degrees from both the American University of Beirut and the Sorbonne, Paris, including a doctorate in civil law from the latter. All at a time when degrees amongst Iranians were still rather thin on the ground.

By the way, regarding the so-called "bribery" in 1919 what actually happened was the British released the first installment of the £2 million loan before the treaty had been actually signed. They were so sure it would go through. When the treaty did not go through, the ministers simply helped themselves to the money. Alas, Iranians tend to believe in all sorts of conspiracy theories so nothing ever happens because of the decisions or choices of Iranian power brokers or people in charge of the country. During this period, we are supposed to believe that the British simultaneously bribed Firuz, instigated the Tabatabai coup d'etat to topple him, theeReza Khan coup that toppled Tabatabai, then attempted to save Firuz from Reza Shah who, British creature that he was - refused. That in logic, one or more of these conspiracies would actually cancel out each other, somehow escapes the Iranian mind!

Cheers,

James

Hi James,

Thanks for all the additional information on Prinz Firuz. Now we have a Western perspective as well as an Iranian perspective on the history of this turbulent time. It does seem to me that Western powers were playing Persian tug-of-war with Britian, Turkey and Russia fighting for power and influence within Persia. Sort of ironic that the same game with different players is happening today with Western governments enforcing sanctions against Iran while Russian along with China take sides with iran. I suppose if we gathered history books from the West and from Iran they would tell two different stories on the history of Persia/Iran.

Now the Civil uniform and civil awards of Arts and Science make sense now. I had assumed than being a Prince entitled him to wear a military uniform, but that is not the case. Thanks for that clarification. As always, your knowledgable contributions are always greatly appreciated!

Markus

Edited by Markus

Shah Mozaffar ad-Din (Reign 1896-1907) visit to England in 1902 with King Edward VII and the Princes of Wales Victoria. This is a photo postcard I found. Both King Edward VII and Shah Mozaffar ad-Din are wearing the first class Nishan-i-Agdas (Most Sacred). The first degree was worn by the Shah, and also conferred on fellow foreign sovereigns. I am not for sure but I think the Queen has on the order of Aaftab. I will have to zoom in and enhance he area of interest.

Edited by Markus

Close up of the Queen Alexandra with medals. I am thinking the medal closest to the bottom of the picture is the Order of Aaftab. In researching Queen Alexandra's medals and orders I can confirm she received the order of Aaftab in 1902. Queen Victoria was one of the first recipients and the Order was later bestowed on Queen Alexandra in 1902 and the future Queen Mary in 1904. The badge from the latter is in the Royal Collection and was on display in the Windsor Castle exhibition of 1997. The other medal with the bow is the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert.

Edited by Markus

Now the Civil uniform and civil awards of Arts and Science make sense now. I had assumed than being a Prince entitled him to wear a military uniform, but that is not the case. Thanks for that clarification. As always, your knowledgable contributions are always greatly appreciated!

Sorry mate, but the same "civil awards" could be found on military uniforms too ;)

The real problem is not the uniform of this honest and high-minded Prince :lol:

Edited by JapanX

:unsure:

The second possibility looks more realistic.

Could you please show the reverse of this piece?

Regards,

Nick

Приветствие Ник. Как видите, в задней части медаль голый, как малыша вниз.

Я назвал эту Годе сделал медаль сравнивая его по следующей ссылке:

http://www.najafcoin...mages/o2268.jpg

How is my Google Russian? ;)

Now the question I have, is do you type on an English keyboard, a Russian keyboard and use a translator application?

Congratulations on election of your new old President! :cheers:

Now we need to change the Constitution in the USA to allow for three terms and bring back Clinton to fix our economy. :D

Just translated my Google Russian back to English:

"Welcome Nick. As you can see the back of the medal naked as a baby down.

I call this the Year medal made ​​by comparing it to the following link:"

Not so good! :unsure:

Should have read: "Hello Nick. As you can see the back of the medal is naked as a baby's bottom. I call this a Godet maker, by comparing it to the following link." LOL!

Markus

Edited by Markus

Your Russian sounds exactly like Mitya's Japanese... :lol:

"Now we need to change the Constitution in the USA to allow for three terms and bring back Clinton to fix our economy."

Nope. You'll need someone brighter than him. Ex-pilot, ex-super-businessman, really likes cowboy boots ...

Sounds familiar? ;)

P.S. Thanks for reverse! But who's this tense looking dude on the right? Hmmmm...

This is a beautiful Lion and Sun photo that was taken in Iran by a traveler. Must have been in a museum, Quite incredible! A 1st Class Breast star loaded with either diamonds or rhinestones. I am guessing diamonds with the high quality and display features.

Edited by Markus

The order of Aaftab. The Aaftab Queen Alexandra is wearing appears to have pendant jewels hanging from bottom of medal.

Markus,

I think this is another "collector's copy". The actual decoration should be covered with diamonds.

It also looks like Queen Alexandra's decoration may have been the second class. Queen Victoria's star was a full circle of rays around the central medallion with the face, all the rays covered in diamonds. Queen Alexandra's, on the other hand, is a half circle and seems to have three drooping diamonds.

By the way, the second badge on Queen Alexandra's shoulder, just below the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert is the First Class of the King Edward VII Royal Family Order.

Cheers,

James

Markus,

I think this is another "collector's copy". The actual decoration should be covered with diamonds.

It also looks like Queen Alexandra's decoration may have been the second class. Queen Victoria's star was a full circle of rays around the central medallion with the face, all the rays covered in diamonds. Queen Alexandra's, on the other hand, is a half circle and seems to have three drooping diamonds.

By the way, the second badge on Queen Alexandra's shoulder, just below the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert is the First Class of the King Edward VII Royal Family Order.

Cheers,

James

Thanks James! I was looking at another postcard photo close up of Queen Alexandra taken at the same time as the others aboard the Royal Yacht and now I am not sure this was an Aftab. She was given one according to some sources, but the clearer shot of the medal looks like a sun burst motif and I can't really make out the distinctive face on the medallion part.

Thanks James! I was looking at another postcard photo close up of Queen Alexandra taken at the same time as the others aboard the Royal Yacht and now I am not sure this was an Aftab. She was given one according to some sources, but the clearer shot of the medal looks like a sun burst motif and I can't really make out the distinctive face on the medallion part.

Markus,

It was definitely the Aftab. The award is mentioned in the Court Circular covering the Persian State Visit.

Cheers,

James

This is a beautiful Lion and Sun photo that was taken in Iran by a traveler. Must have been in a museum, Quite incredible! A 1st Class Breast star loaded with either diamonds or rhinestones. I am guessing diamonds with the high quality and display features.

Markus,

This is not the Lion & Sun but one of the Nishan-i-Aghdas group of awards.

If you look at the top, the case is made with a space for the crown and agrette device which has somehow become detached from the rest of the breast star. Most probably flogged for the valuable drooping diamonds.

Cheers,

James

Markus,

This is not the Lion & Sun but one of the Nishan-i-Aghdas group of awards.

If you look at the top, the case is made with a space for the crown and agrette device which has somehow become detached from the rest of the breast star. Most probably flogged for the valuable drooping diamonds.

Cheers,

James

Thanks James,

I did not even notice the case was made for the Nishan-i-Aghdas. Many of these early orders must have been plundered for their jewels. From what I have read a lot of Royal Jewels crossed borders and ended up repurposed in other Royal Jewel collections.

Markus

An old Qajar period photo of Masoud Mirza Zil-es-Sultan ( eldest son of Shah Governor of Isfahan taken in 1890.

Fascinating old Persian photo exhibit on this site:

https://disc.leidenuniv.nl/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1331094106846~563&locale=en_US&VIEWER_URL=/view/action/singleViewer.do?&DELIVERY_RULE_ID=10&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

Edited by Markus

Masoud Mirza Zil-es-Sultan medals. The one suspended from his neck looks like an Nishan-i-Temtal-i-Amir ul-Mumenin (The Portrait of the Commander of the Faithful Decoration) medal with portrait of Shah Naser ed-Din. The Grand collar and sunburst breast star are the Star of India order.

Edited by Markus