News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

As

we start out, we can use this thread for French Victory Medals, cases,

award documents, variations in medals/ribbons, etc. This is a good area

to show the other unofficial versions (Pautot, Charles, etc.) as well.

Tim :cheers:

My French Victory Medal:-

Kevin in Deva. beer.gif

Edited by IrishGunner

• Replies 155
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

French Mini Victory's:-

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-950-1247583547.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2009/post-950-1247583688.jpg

Size left to right:-

11mm, 13mm, 10.5mm and 13mm.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 1 month later...

To all,

Here is one of my latest acquisitions. Identified by Mr Laslo's reference as the French unofficial type 2a 'uniface' variety. This item is not often seen and is considered rare even in France.

The item is 36.5 mm in diameter. There are no edge markings or BRONZE on the rim.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

To all,

I have just picked up the following item; a uniface French official vic. Having never seen one before I was surprised when I found it. :D

The reverse is universally smooth somewhat negating the possibility of it having been erased and the planchet is thinner which is consistent with other French uniface models.

Has anyone else seen such a variety?

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

It seems that things are a bit quiet here at the moment so here is another uniface vic.

It was produced by an, as yet, unidentified French manufacturer. It is classed as either a Belgian unofficial model or a French unofficial model.

This one has a very lovely deep toned patina on both the obverse and reverse.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is yet another vic; this time a French official model. While it looks like the standard model of note is the makers mark on the reverse. In this case it is a triangle inscribed with 'JB' which is the mark of 'Janvier Berchot'. They produced the French official vic in addition to the Paris mint.

Close-up of the reverse to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is a small group of French mini's as follows:

* Medaille Militaire

* War Cross with star

* Victory medal (11 mm)

* War Commemorative Medal 1914-18

* Unofficial wound medal

What I found interesting is the different size medals on the one bar. In this case the French vic is 11 mm in diameter. French mini's are found in a number of different sizes ranging between 11mm, 13mm and 18mm. The vic almost looks out of place next to the larger other mini's.

Close-ups of the vic to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Here are the close-ups.

I am impressed by the level of detail that is here on a mini that is but 11 mm across. Although it is difficult to see on this scan just noticeable is the designers name 'A. Morlon' on the obverse.

This level of detail and attention to design is a hallmark of the quality and workmanship of earlier period medals, including miniatures. Sometimes that is sadly lacking in the current contemporary productions.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have a question on the French official issue VM. I have not been able find out what mint used the triangle marking. In reading all that has been posted on this site, I did find this,

"Here is yet another vic; this time a French official model. While it looks like the standard model of note is the makers mark on the reverse. In this case it is a triangle inscribed with 'JB' which is the mark of 'Janvier Berchot'. They produced the French official vic in addition to the Paris mint".

My question is, is this triangle JB's mark? Or is the triangle a different mink mark without JB's influence?

Thanks, JM

Edited by IrishGunner

Hi John,

Impossible to tell with those PICS, but I would assume at this point it is a J&B mark.

Here's a comparison of two J&B marks on two of my Combattants Cross'; note the triangle is slightly different and one is easy to read "JB" in the center, while the other you can't tell without looping it.

Tim

Edited by Tim B

I have a question on the French official issue VM. I have not been able find out what mint used the triangle marking. In reading all that has been posted on this site, I did find this,

"Here is yet another vic; this time a French official model. While it looks like the standard model of note is the makers mark on the reverse. In this case it is a triangle inscribed with 'JB' which is the mark of 'Janvier Berchot'. They produced the French official vic in addition to the Paris mint".

My question is, is this triangle JB's mark? Or is the triangle a different mink mark without JB's influence?

Thanks, JM

JM,

This particular official French vic was also produced by the firm of Janvier Berchot. While the more regularly seen JB mintmark has the strongly incused 'JB' within the triangle in this case the JB letters on the hallmark are less distinct and often result in them being worn or rubbed down. In some other cases it is just the plain triangle.

Here is one for comparison.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

:off topic: While we're on maker's marks... :whistle:

Anyone know this one with a diamond? Strike looks incredibly sharp! :cheers:

Tim

Tim,

The only makers mark that I know of that is a diamond shape is one produced by Arthus Bertrand of Paris. This particular mark was used from 1917. I'm not sure if this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, I have noticed the maker's marks on the Victory Medals are raised unlike the other medals, and being so small, easily rubbed off from wear. I only have one with the cornucopia on it and that's pretty distingushable.

On the Commemorative Medal, hard to say as the mark looks different than the Bertrand image you posted but, PICs can be deceiving too. I guess the only way is to find one and get it in hand.

A new (another :whistle: ) hunt! :cheers:

Tim

Edited by Tim B

Another one while we're asking... cool.gif

It's not the Monaisse de Paris cornucopia.

Tim

Hi Tim, I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but my internet service when down for three days, due to"Storm IDA". I live in a flood area in the state of Delaware, USA. I see that Rob has already posted the medal and photos of the French medal in question. I am also posting a clearer photo of the French triangle mark. I thank you both for your help. JohnnyMac

JM,

This particular official French vic was also produced by the firm of Janvier Berchot. While the more regularly seen JB mintmark has the strongly incused 'JB' within the triangle in this case the JB letters on the hallmark are less distinct and often result in them being worn or rubbed down. In some other cases it is just the plain triangle.

Here is one for comparison.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob I just sent Tim a reply and I also want to thank you for your relay, you wereright on the marking and medal, thanks again JohnnyMac

• 1 month later...

To all,

Here is a French unofficial type 2 in silvered-bronze. Not common or seen that often. It has the correct hallmark and BRONZE impressed on the planchet edge.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is a French unofficial type 2 in silvered-bronze. Not common or seen that often. It has the correct hallmark and BRONZE impressed on the planchet edge.

Regards,

Rob

To all,

This is the French unofficial type 1, But this one is not silvered.

JM